Author Topic: blank emails  (Read 4476 times)

Aditi

blank emails
« on: July 25, 2007, 10:57:31 PM »
Hey...I'm new to this forum...came across it when looking for a solution to my problem...all of my old hotmail emails are now blank...all i can see is the subject and date...there is no text in the body of the message...I've read about other such problems in the forum...and in some cases it has to do with avast or other anti-virus programs...I had installed avast at one point but then uninstalled it...dunno if its affected my emails though...any suggestions...p.s. ive already tried clearing out the cookies and offline content...am running out of ideas...hope some1 can help... :)

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
Re: blank emails
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 11:04:11 PM »
Are you viewing your old Hotmail messages in the Hotmail Web interface or are these Hotmail messages you have downloaded to an email client?

Aditi

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 11:06:00 AM »
In the hotmail web interface...

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2007, 12:18:18 PM »
Since you have told us that you removed avast it is difficult to see how avast could be affecting the display of Hotmail messages. 

Which antivirus product do you currently have installed? 

Are you using or have you used Norton anti-virus?

Aditi

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 02:09:10 PM »
Yup I've got Norton...also got AVG...coz the subscription for Norton has run out and its pretty much useless...do you think Norton is the problem?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2007, 02:20:10 PM »
Do you think Norton is the problem?
Most of the times... yes.
1) Remove NAV through Add/Remove programs from Control Panel. Boot.
2) Use Symantec removal tool following the three steps defined in the SymNRT tool info or here.
3) Boot.
4) Install avast! Boot.
5) See what you get.

Full SymNRT info:
1. Download and save these three files to the Windows desktop:
   a) ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/linked_files/tsgen/MSIFIX.bat
   b) ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/linked_files/tsgen/SymNRT.exe
   c) ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/linked_files/tsgen/SYMMSICLEANUP.reg

2. Run the three files that you just downloaded
   a) On the Windows desktop, double-click the MSIFIX icon.
      Click Run.
      A black window may appear very briefly.
   b) On the Windows desktop, double-click the SymNRT icon.
      Click Run.
      Click Next.
      Click I accept the License Agreement, and click Next.
      Type the letters and numbers that you see in the white box, and then click Next.
      Click Yes or OK at each prompt.
      You may need to click more than once. Your computer may be restarted for you more than once.
      You may be asked to repeat some steps after the computer restarts.
   c) On the Windows desktop, double-click the SYMMSICLEANUP icon.
      Click Run, and then click Yes.
      Click OK.

3. Boot.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2007, 04:43:39 PM »
Yup I've got Norton...also got AVG...coz the subscription for Norton has run out and its pretty much useless...do you think Norton is the problem?

Having two resident scanners installed is not recommended as rather than provide twice the protection it can cause conflicts that could leave you more vulnerable. And Norton is one of the worst (IMHO) for co-existing with another AV.

So that is almost certainly the issue and if you had NAV on when you installed avast previously it will most certainly had an effect there as well.

Personally I would get rid of NAV as Tech shows, download avast again, get rid of AVG and reinstall avast ;D bearing in mind where your support is coming from right now. Not from NAV nor AVG but the avast support forum and you currently have't even got avast installed.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Aditi

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2007, 07:19:55 PM »
ok...have done as u suggested...but it hasnt solved the problem...still have blank emails :( anything else i could try? thanx for the suggestions so far...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2007, 08:59:56 PM »
If you can see new emails and the body content is there yet old emails aren't I would check with hotmail as viewing the body text should be the same for old or new email. Unless hotmail have some policy of removing or emptying old email.

I think you would have established it isn't an outside influence if you can view the body of new emails but not old ones.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Aditi

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2007, 09:07:01 PM »
have already emailed the hotmail support team...and they had no other suggestion apart from clearing out cookies and temp files...thanx for the idea tho...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2007, 09:25:58 PM »
Your welcome.

I take it that you are able to read the body text of new emails ?
If so then your next contact with the support team is to as them to explain how you can view the body of new emails, yet the body of old email on their system are blank. This they can't put down to cookies and temp files or any outside influence as it would/should be the same for all emails on their system.

Aditi

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2007, 12:23:18 PM »
yeah I can read some new emails...there have been a few which I coudnt read coz they were blank as well...according to the support team, they are still working on the problem...and this has been their line for a while...so don't think there is much chance of getting this fixed anytime soon :(

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2007, 03:01:54 PM »
Good one, first blame something else, cookies, cache, etc. trotting out their default answer, nothing about they are experiencing a problem. Then when you challenged them about it as there is no outside influence and they say they are working on the problem, MS trustworthy computing, spit.

Perhaps it is time to vote with your feet and walk away if it is likely to be some time.