Author Topic: Is there any way to do a full shutdown of Avast  (Read 21911 times)

jbalat

Is there any way to do a full shutdown of Avast
« on: August 02, 2007, 01:44:29 AM »
Being a Gamer I always shut down everything before I start playing. The only way I can shut down Avast at the moment is to go to TASK MANAGER..

Is there any other way to kill Avast, the Avast server and the Avast Updater in one go ?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Is there any way to do a full shutdown of Avast
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 03:09:46 AM »
Being a gamer doesn't make you immune to infection, even more so if you are playing on-line games.

Why exactly is it that you want to shutdown avast ?

You can have avast avoid pop-ups whilst in full screen mode.
You could if you want set Updates to Manual, also in Program Settings.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

jbalat

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 07:00:53 AM »
You are obviously not a gamer so you may not understand my dillema?
The set of avast services are taking up about 30Mb of memory plus some CPU cycles.

Unlike most people these days, I didn't spend big dollars on Video card and CPU to run antivirus software. I believe in this day and age this sort of thing should be integrated into some hardware device on the motherboard so as to free up resources for tasks that the computer was originally designed to do ?...

That is in my case to play games ! ;)

I guess if I make an exception for Avast then where does one draw the line. Do I leave my firewall on and spend all night trying to figure out why we cant connect up ? I only play multiplayer against friends. Thats the risk I'm willing to take.. I just need a way of killing all of Avast in one go. Thats all...

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2007, 03:11:51 PM »
No I'm not a gamer, which is why I asked and that was mainly to see if there was a specific problem that you have.

Life is about decisions/compromise and you have already made some by purchasing high end expensive video card and processor for your gaming entertainment, but what if you can't play the game because of infection. There has to be a compromise between performance and protection, the people you are playing against aren't the problem, but port probing by bots and then attack on your system. Any malware that does happen to get on your system is going to be using up valuable system resources too.

avast is designed to be a resident scanner and you can't easily shut that down (all services, etc.) as you would effectively need to reboot it to get it started again. Have you tried a right click on the avast 'a' icon and select 'Stop On-Access Protection,' this stops the scanning but the services are still up, but allows you to click the same option start on-access protection.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

jbalat

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2007, 01:56:06 AM »
Yes I have but the program still sits in resident memory.

As for port scanning and the like I would like to think that my router is doing something to protect me from that. I estimate my risks of getting a virus during playing games would be about 1 in 10,000. I have only ever been hit with emails or web sites but I dont want to argue this point with you.. In my ignorance I would prefer to have a full shut down option...

Thanks for trying to understand. If you can do this then word will get around that Avast is 'Gamer Friendly'..

I was previously using AVG which at least had an EXIT button in the right click menu..Hopefully this shouldnt be too hard to do ?

BTW I downloaded a program called ENDITALL2 which forces selected Apps to close down. I have had some success with this...

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2007, 02:44:45 AM »
As I said avast is designed to be 'resident' the services may still be loaded but they aren't using any CPU cycles and the RAM I would have though shouldn't be that great a problem (the total for all my avast services and providers is 37,436Kb) and they are all active, yours should be less. If anything anti-virus applications are going in the other direction to stop it being killed and leaving the user unprotected.

If it is a problem then a RAM upgrade wouldn't be a major expense, but I suspect that you will have RAM coming out of your ears so the amount used by avast would be very small.

There are missions of avast users ranging in experience and that is why Alwil chose to have the Stop action only stop on-access scans otherwise a user who clicked exit (assuming that were an option), killing avast would have to reboot to get it restarted.

I'm just an avast user like you and have no influence over the avast interface of application.

I don't know if enditall goes as far as startingitall after you are done or if you have to reboot.

There really isn't any thing to stop you creating a batch file placed in the C:\ folder to stop the avast services (you could create a desktop shortcut to run it) :
Net Stop "avast! Antivirus"
Net Stop "avast! iAVS4 Control Service"
Net Stop "avast! Mail Scanner"
Net Stop "avast! Web Scanner"

You could then create another batch file to restart them:
Net Start "avast! Antivirus"
Net Start "avast! iAVS4 Control Service"
Net Start "avast! Mail Scanner"
Net Start "avast! Web Scanner"

That should avoid using task manager to end the processes, The ashDisp.exe, avast system tray icon isn't a service but a user startup entry and I would say not to contemplate killing that and restarting it by command line.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 02:47:09 AM by DavidR »

Offline Dwarden

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Ideas, that's ocean without borders!
    • Bohemia Interactive
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2007, 02:49:15 AM »
create simple batch file e.g. "avastend.bat" or "avastend.cmd" with:

Code: [Select]
net stop "Avast! Antivirus" /y
net stop "Avast! iAVS4 Control Service"

the /y automatically stops Main and Web scanner service (so below lines not needed)

net stop "Avast! Mail Scanner"
net stop "Avast! Web Scanner"

and to kill Avast icon

taskkill /IM ashdisp.exe

this effectively stop Avast! from running

to start services exchange "stop" for "start"
to start ashdisp.exe just execute it via proper cmdline and path

now i'm sure you say to your self "this was soo simple" :)

p.s.  you can't kill avast! 100% as there is low level driver running , that one needs to disable restart but there should be no issue with it in background if rest components is disabled.

p.p.s
rofl DavidR ... stop writing when i writing same lol haha nice
https://twitter.com/FoltynD , Tech. Community, Online Services & Distribution manager of Bohemia Interactive

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2007, 03:28:24 AM »
I used to think I typed slowly ;D mind you I started typing yesterday ;D

Is the Net Stop  or Net Stop case sensitive or is net stop fine, my batch files for other applications (avg-as) are in Inti Caps. as in my examples ?

Handy tip that about the /y (net stop "Avast! Antivirus" /y)
Does the net start "Avast! Antivirus" /y restart the web shield and internet mail providers ?

jbalat

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2007, 08:09:53 AM »
Thanks heaps Guys

I pasted this in a bat file on the desktop and it worked...

net stop "Avast! Antivirus" /y
net stop "Avast! iAVS4 Control Service"
taskkill /IM ashdisp.exe

Wooohooo !!!

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2007, 03:55:32 PM »
Just don't forget to have a start avast batch file and remember to restart avast after you finish.

Offline Dwarden

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Ideas, that's ocean without borders!
    • Bohemia Interactive
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2007, 03:15:02 AM »
Does the net start "Avast! Antivirus" /y restart the web shield and internet mail providers ?

they are started automatically by "Avast! Antivirus" service (internal function) so no need start them manually ...
https://twitter.com/FoltynD , Tech. Community, Online Services & Distribution manager of Bohemia Interactive

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2007, 02:39:12 PM »
Thanks, I did a trial batch file anyway, useful switch that.

Vezra

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2007, 04:07:34 PM »
Have you tried a right click on the avast 'a' icon and select 'Stop On-Access Protection,' this stops the scanning but the services are still up, but allows you to click the same option start on-access protection.

I'm a gamer also and just downloaded Avast! last night and noticed that my games are running quite abit slower now and are having "hicups" on some things where they never have before. Will using the "Stop On-Access Protection" help with the preformance and is my system still being protected? I had Norton AV before this which I just completely shut down when loading up a game so I didn't really have any issues with this. Side note, as I know the question will be asked; I did uninstall Norton AV before installing Avast using the regular "uninstall" and I also ran the Symantec Norton removal tool downloaded from their site. I use my comp mainly for gaming and if you have any suggestions on how to "improve" the preformance of Avast! while gaming that would be greatly appreciated!

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2007, 04:41:46 PM »
The obvious answer is NO you system won't be protected if you stop on-assess protection. The services are still running but scanning takes place, the reason is so you can start on-access protection without having to reboot your system to restart the services.

You could use the suggested batch files to stop and start avast services without them no scanning, but again you will be unprotected.

Since I know nothing about your system, CPU, RAM or what other security software you have, what other applications are running, including firewall, etc.

Vezra

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2007, 08:46:39 PM »
Well right now the system I have is pretty darn old. Anthlon 1900+, 512mb, GeForce 3 Ti 500 64mb, WinXP and I just use the windows Firewall. However, I should be getting my new system sometime next week (AVA Direct Rocks!! ;)) Which will have Intel E6850, 2GB Ram, GeForce 8800 GTX, WinVista. So with that setup I wonder if I would even be able to notice a preformance hit?

The obvious answer is NO you system won't be protected if you stop on-assess protection. The services are still running but scanning takes place, the reason is so you can start on-access protection without having to reboot your system to restart the services.

Ok so it's not protected when you stop on-access protection "Terminate", no Scanning takes place but the services are still running? Am I understanding that correctly?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 08:58:38 PM by Vezra »