Author Topic: Win XP Pro Security Center - No Anti Virus Installed  (Read 3717 times)

BenneDJezzerette

Win XP Pro Security Center - No Anti Virus Installed
« on: August 04, 2007, 09:55:46 PM »
Hello I have a serious issue, between yesterday and this morning there were no changes to my system, Ran Defrag and then rebooted, as I reboot Windows Security Center opens a Bubble in the System Tray and Claims there is no Anti Virus Installed and yet the Avast Icons are Right there in the System Tray and also did a Boot Scan and finds no problems or Virus, Spy Bot S&D finds nothing and Ad Aware 2007 all find nothing. There has been no program updates or other programs installed since last night, and I have run defrag before and not had this problem until this morning, I have been fighting with the Windows XP Pro Security Center for the past 3 and a half hours trying to get it to see Avast is actually in my System tray with no success, unless I uninstall it and then reinstall it, and if it takes that then a Total Re Format of this system is in need because something has got past Avast and now causes things to not work. Might have to install AVG from Grisoft temp just to Fix this mess. Or else its lose 1000's of hours of work and data which will cause some very upset me. Please respond soon, or its A very Upset and X Windows user as Windows has been attacked for the last time now.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Win XP Pro Security Center - No Anti Virus Installed
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2007, 10:10:19 PM »
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=23457.msg193534#msg193534
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/repairwmi.htm

If you are running Windows XP, Service Pack 2 you can use a single command to detect and repair a corrupted WMI Repository. To do so, type the following from the command prompt (note that the parameter UpgradeRepository is case-sensitive and must be typed exactly as shown):
rundll32 wbemupgd, UpgradeRepository

After running UpgradeRepository you can verify the results by looking ay the Setup log. If inconsistencies are detected and if the operating system was able to rebuild the Repository you should see information in WMI Setup log (%windir%\System32\Wbem\Logs\Setup.log)

Sometimes, Windows Security Center stop recognizing your antivirus or firewall... The fix could be fairly easy for the most part.

1. Go to control panel and open Administrative tools.
2. Click on services.
3. Go down to Windows Management Instrumentation.
4. Stop this service. Stop Security Center service too.
    Let them to Automatically start.
5. Exit out of this area to your desktop.
6. Right click Start and choose Explore.
7. Go to c:\windows\system32\wbem\repository.
    Delete this subdirectory ONLY. Let the others there.
    Sometimes, only using Unlocker, MoveOnBoot or Delete FXP you can delete these files.
8. Exit back to your desktop and reboot your computer (maybe you need to boot twice).

This will rebuild the deleted folder and the database. Once restarted, Windows Security Center should show the correct info and antivirus and firewall should now be recoginized  ;)

Other answers for XP Security Center not detecting antivirus or firewall program could be found here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883792.

Also:
Might have to install AVG from Grisoft temp just to Fix this mess.
It won't solve... the second antivirus will conflict with avast...
The best things in life are free.