Author Topic: Apple released all new iMac  (Read 117239 times)

shgoh

Re: Apple released all new iMac
« Reply #195 on: February 28, 2008, 01:02:07 PM »
yea...i've got an unlocked iphone! :P New mac books??! will check it up! btw...is macbook air good? any opinions?

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #196 on: February 29, 2008, 02:34:07 AM »
yea...i've got an unlocked iphone! :P New mac books??! will check it up! btw...is macbook air good? any opinions?

Well the MacBookAir is excellent if you travel constantly. Otherwise the MacBook is cheaper and has better specs. Essentially you are paying for the portability (3.0lbs) on the Air. I have an iBook (the predecessor to the MacBook) and its very easy to carry around, but If I traveled for a living I would look at the Air.

Remember Air has no optical drive, and the battery is not user changeable (You Apple Service Provider or Retail store can change in just a few Minutes though in case of a defective battery, but thats useless on a long flight)
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #197 on: February 29, 2008, 02:38:26 AM »
Yes, AIR is super nice product except to me it looks more like something for showing off, rather than something that will make your work more productive.

I've already decided... New MacBook Pro is my next Apple purchase. Super powerful, super bad, not thin like AIR, but in the same time a lot thicker when it comes to features. That's what I'm looking for.
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #198 on: February 29, 2008, 05:23:03 AM »
Yes, AIR is super nice product except to me it looks more like something for showing off, rather than something that will make your work more productive.

I've already decided... New MacBook Pro is my next Apple purchase. Super powerful, super bad, not thin like AIR, but in the same time a lot thicker when it comes to features. That's what I'm looking for.

Well Apple has been known to show off its engineering and design team from time to time. (MacBookAir, PowerMac G4 Cube, iMac G4)
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #199 on: February 29, 2008, 12:36:29 PM »
Yes, that's well known fact, but I sure don't mind it. They can show off because they really have something to show off. They are always ahead of their competition at least by a mile. Oh, what am I saying? When it comes to design, they simply don't have competition.

What I was trying to say was... I meant, those who are rushing to buy it. I strongly believe that new MacBook Pro, even new MacBook now are a lot better investment that the AIR one.
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #200 on: February 29, 2008, 01:53:21 PM »
Yes, that's well known fact, but I sure don't mind it. They can show off because they really have something to show off. They are always ahead of their competition at least by a mile. Oh, what am I saying? When it comes to design, they simply don't have competition.

What I was trying to say was... I meant, those who are rushing to buy it. I strongly believe that new MacBook Pro, even new MacBook now are a lot better investment that the AIR one.
Yea, the MacBook is such a awesome machine, I just wish it had a better Graphics Card. The Intel IGP is fine for most things but when I boot into windows with boot camp I want to be able to play games. Of course the MacBook Pro has a stellar GPU but I prefer the smaller size of the MacBook.

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #201 on: February 29, 2008, 03:16:27 PM »
Yup! That's few reasons there I don't want to go with MacBook even though it is a nice machine. First, I refuse to use anything less than 15.4" screen simply because viewable area on 13" is too small... resolution too. I need at least something like 15.4" to be able to decently work in all applications I use.

Yes, MacBook Pro's NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB of GDDR3 memory and dual-link DVI makes this machine a little monster. Not to mention they come with 2 Gb and 200 or 250 Gb HDs. I simply love it.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #202 on: March 02, 2008, 06:56:12 AM »
Yup! That's few reasons there I don't want to go with MacBook even though it is a nice machine. First, I refuse to use anything less than 15.4" screen simply because viewable area on 13" is too small... resolution too. I need at least something like 15.4" to be able to decently work in all applications I use.

Yes, MacBook Pro's NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB of GDDR3 memory and dual-link DVI makes this machine a little monster. Not to mention they come with 2 Gb and 200 or 250 Gb HDs. I simply love it.

Yeah its a nice Machine. Most likely going to Pick one up after the Warranty Expires on My iBook.

shgoh

« Reply #203 on: March 10, 2008, 02:21:18 AM »
my mighty mouse scroll stopped scrolling downwards...i guess there's dirt trapped in it...try a bit of a search online and realized it's a common problem...try cleaning it but in vain....any advices? ???

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #204 on: March 10, 2008, 04:25:49 AM »
Unfortunately I have no advice for you my friend. I keep my mouse clean, cleaning it every day after I use it. Never had any problems with it... my mouse is not wireless, it is one of those hardwired ones (I prefer using wired ones) but that shouldn't have any difference.

Edit: I actually might have one advice... many of my co-workers found a wonderful solution. Buy any MS or Logitech mouse out there and you solved all your problems. Quality is superb, believe it or not, even if you go with cheapest $15 MS one. Apple Mighty mouse is something wonderful, but the only minus I would give it because it is not easily serviceable. Buying new one is pretty expensive if you ask me... There are a lot better solutions out there for even less money. I'm sure you felt it already on your own skin. Find one of those 5 button mouses so you can assign all actions to the buttons, just like on your mighty one.

If MS mouse gets dirty, all you need is to unscrew few screws and problem is solved in less than 5 minutes. One of the most popular one among all my Mac friends, is this one (Logitech)... little more expensive, but nothing performs like this one:

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/mice_pointers/mice/devices/130&cl=us,en
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 05:09:41 AM by . .. ... .... ..... »

shgoh

« Reply #205 on: March 10, 2008, 09:14:49 AM »
Thanks Sasha...buying a MS or Logitech mouse is definitely a good option!...only disadvantage is that it doesn't look as nice 8)...anyway...i think i have a 12 months warranty on the mighty mouse...so i'll see how it goes....

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #206 on: March 10, 2008, 11:23:30 AM »
Personally i gave up on Logitech wireless mouses, had the MX 1000 and with all those problems with losing the signal sometimes and not wanting to re-charge(and i was not the only one with these probs), i dumped that rat and went with a good wired gaming mouse from RAZER and haven't regreted it. With Logitech it seems the cheap wired mouses(never ever had a problem with those cheap wired ones and i had ALOT of them) are more quality made than the expensive wireless ones, atleast that was my experience with them. My friend has the MX Revolution and he deeply regrets having bought that one. The upper scroll wheel is already kaput and he only bought the thing just 2 months ago.

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #207 on: March 10, 2008, 12:56:22 PM »
Yes, like with everything else I guess. Some people like it and some not. I am not crazy about wireless mouses/keyboards either... don't want to constantly think if I have to recharge it, or it suddenly dies on me while I am in the middle of typing an urgent email... wire was never on my way anyway.

Shgoh, take a look in here:

http://koolinus.wordpress.com/2007/08/06/logitech-mx400-a-mighty-mouse-replacement

This guy is pretty happy with Logitech one Miha talked about, but why I posted this link is mostly because this guy mentioned some sheet-of-paper-mighty-mouse-upside-down cleaning method. Will not hurt to try it...

Anyway, like MIha pointed out, no matter how Logitech is good company, I would go with Razer or if you want with any Microsoft mouse. There is even one made with Apple users in mind:

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/productdetails.aspx?pid=103

And I simply adore this one:

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/productdetails.aspx?pid=064

Edit: Oh yes... I've heard that Apple is even selling Razer mouse in their retail stores. Reviews by people using it are very good and they seem pretty happy with this little more expensive digital rat.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 01:00:01 PM by . .. ... .... ..... »

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #208 on: March 10, 2008, 01:19:55 PM »
Probably the best thing to do is to go to your local store and try out a few different mouses, see how they fit in your hand, try which one has the right sensitivity for you, being an addict gamer myself i prefer those high sensitivity mouses for my FPS needs(preferably from Razer or MS like Sash said). Point i am trying to make is, try before you buy.

EDIT:

@Sash: I was talking about the MX 1000 not the the MX 400, see here:

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/mice_pointers/mice/devices/783&cl=gb,en

But you are right, the MX 400 is a great mouse. And it's cheap aswell. I use it on my linux rig and my neighbor uses it aswell. I can tell you that mine was thrown against the wall a few times, it's a little battered now but amazingly it still works great. The MX 518 is also a good one(so very good for gaming), but i still prefer Razer products.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 01:29:55 PM by Darth_Mikey »

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #209 on: March 10, 2008, 01:52:34 PM »
Edit: Oh yes... I've heard that Apple is even selling Razer mouse in their retail stores. Reviews by people using it are very good and they seem pretty happy with this little more expensive digital rat.

Hey Sash, is this the Razer mouse you meant ?

http://www.razerzone.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=16

Looks great to me and the colours are perfect for mac's. Not bad at all. The prices seem to be around the same as the Logitech MX 518.