Author Topic: Disabling avast! - temporarily  (Read 6161 times)

jc55

Disabling avast! - temporarily
« on: August 09, 2007, 10:09:28 PM »
Hi,

I just received a new program I want to install.  The instructions says I NEED/MUST disable any Anti-Virus program before installing their software.

How to I temporarily 'disable' avast! v4.7 Home?

Thanks - james

Jem

Re: Disabling avast! - temporarily
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 10:29:14 PM »
What program is it? I would suggest, at least in my experience, that the following is enough:

Right click on the taskbar icon for Avast and choose 'Stop On Access Protection'. This will temporarily disable all Avast 'resident providers'. You can restart them by doing the same thing in reverse, or they will start automatically after rebooting.

jc55

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 10:40:48 PM »
Hi Jem,

It's a QuickVerse Bible program.  I've used avast! for several years and have installed countless programs - all without disabling avast.

It's was the explicit instructions QuickVerse included that prompted my query as to how to temporarily disable avast!.

I will do as you suggested - left click on 'Stop On-Access Protection.'

I'm thinking this would probably be a good idea when installing any new software?

Thanks - james

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 10:46:15 PM »
No, it's not a good idea - for ANY software. That's the best way to install a malicous program in the end.
I'm not saying that QuickVerse is such a case, but the instruction is ridiculous; don't see any reason to do so.

jc55

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2007, 10:56:41 PM »
igor, are you saying that installing large software programs {such as WordPerfect or Excel} without disabling avast! is perfectly normal - and safe?  James

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2007, 11:03:57 PM »
It's was the explicit instructions QuickVerse included that prompted my query as to how to temporarily disable avast!.
Don't follow these instructions. People think that antivirus will mess their installation and to 'avoid any trouble' suggest that. There is no need, for sure, to do it in any case.

I'm thinking this would probably be a good idea when installing any new software?
For sure not... this is asked by infected program to get installed in your computer.
The best things in life are free.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2007, 11:04:19 PM »
igor, are you saying that installing large software programs {such as WordPerfect or Excel} without disabling avast! is perfectly normal - and safe?  James
Yes, it's safe and normal.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2007, 11:04:55 PM »
I installed the complete MS Office Professional package a couple of months ago without turning off avast. No problems encountered.

jc55

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2007, 11:09:57 PM »
Thanks Tech and alanrf,

I'm convinced!  Avast! stays 'on full alert.'

james

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2007, 11:11:55 PM »
I installed the complete MS Office Professional package a couple of months ago without turning off avast. No problems encountered.
Me too, a lot of times...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2007, 01:43:40 AM »

This I would say is the time when you most want your AV running, when you are installing software. When someone says you should, I would want to know exactly what it is that they are doing and exactly why it would require an AV to be disabled.

Quote from: jc55
So did these explicit instructions say exactly why, I bet they did not.

But then again I'm a trusting sod (NOT).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

jc55

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2007, 01:55:44 AM »
DavidR,

No,  only an enclosed card with a bright red octagon STOP sign bearing the words: "Temporarily disable any Anti-Virus and/or Spyware programs until the program has been successfully installed."

No rationale was given.

james

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2007, 02:03:21 AM »
I though not.

There seems to be a hang over from days of old when you were advised to close all open windows/applications, etc. before installing new software, I really can't understand why they would suggest it nowadays though.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Jem

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2007, 02:14:20 PM »
The only time I disable AV is when I'm installing drivers from a 'known source'. I've always believed this to be good practice, just in case the AV prevents changes at a 'core' operating system level. NVidia, Logitech, and AlcoholSoft  all advise disabling AV while installing their drivers. Any other apps - I don't disable AV. If this is actually unnecessary with Avast (or any AV) I'm happy to be educated by someone who knows better.   

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2007, 02:58:35 PM »
First you need to understand that avast doesn't block, it is looking for malware by signature and the only time there would be any blocking was if it found something and all hell would break loose with the visual and audible alert.

Some AVs that have heuristics might find that type of activity suspicious and so may block, but they too I would guess should also through up an alert and not simply block.

Now avast5 whilst it doesn't have 'heuristics by name' as there is a sort of hard and fast definition for what heuristics is, it will however have something closer to HIPS so that may get in on the act in something like the activity you mention. However, again I would suspect that you will get the audible and visual alert and not simply be blocked. If that were the case then you could choose to pause the protection if you are happy at what is being done is legit for the task you set out to do.

I have also installed nvida graphics drivers without pausing avast.