Author Topic: message "waiting for subsystem to start" appears under Email component  (Read 7658 times)

satz

hi

I have recently installed Avast home version.

I am running XP Sp1, and Outlook Express,  and IE 6

I have 6 of the 7 components running.  The one for email says  "waiting for subsystem to start'

Q:   is my email being scanned?   There doesn't seem to be any message to say that is happening

and..if it is being scanned, by which Avast module?

Thank you for a wonderful free product!

kind regards

Satz
Australia

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: message "waiting for subsystem to start" appears under Email component
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 02:20:47 AM »
I guess you have the Outlook/Exchange provider enabled (this is for MS Outlook, not express) ?

If so terminate it and enable the Internet Mail provider which monitors other pop3 email programs like OE.

This alert is associated with having the Outlook/Exchange provider and the sub-system it is waiting for is MS Outlook.

There should be a small icon appear on the system tray and the avast 'a' icon should rotate when email is being scanned.

What are the 6 providers running or easier which 1 isn't running ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

satz

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 02:42:21 AM »
hi david

thank you for your response.

the only 1 provider that is not running is the one associated with email  (I can't remember the exact name, and am not at home at the moment).  That's the same one that says "waiting for subsystem".  All the other 6 appear to be running fine.

I have the provider for Internet (webmail) running.  So is my outlook Express protected by that one?    But does it put a message into incoming and outgoing emails to say that they have been 'scanned' or something similar?

thank you

satz

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 03:10:03 AM »
Yes internet mail is the provider for outlook express. Click on that provider and check the scanned count. Left click the "a" icon and click on internet mail. If you want to insert scanned tags on the mail, click the customize button and check the box on both the pop and smtp tabs.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2007, 03:30:13 AM »
The Internet Mail provider doesn't protect webmail, perhaps a confusing name, allied with Outlook/Exchange, many assume that is for Outlook Express when it isn't. Ensure the Outlook/Exchange provider is Terminated and the Internet Mail provider is enabled.

Yahoo/Hotmail are not pop3 email services (unless you pay for the pop3 service), it is web based (so the Internet Mail provider doesn't directly protect it). Web based email is simply your email being viewed in the same way you browser the internet. The pages (that display your email) are downloaded into your Temporary Internet folder, just like regular web pages and displayed on your browser screen.

The Web Shield and finally Standard Shield will scan your files (as they are downloaded into your Temporary Internet folder) when sensitivity is set to High. You can get round this 'problem' using 3rd party applications to download the Hotmail messages through the pop3 server.

So when you get home let us know the one that is disabled.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

satz

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2007, 10:10:41 AM »
thanks guys

I followed your advice/directions and it appears that my email is correctly being scanned by the Internet Mail provider.

Outlook/Exchange is still 'waiting for a subsystem to start'

Can I just leave it like that?  Would it be using up any resources?

thanks again

satz

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2007, 10:41:53 AM »
If you do not use Outlook then just terminate it.  (There's no point whatsoever in running it if you do not need it - forget about any comments saying it does not use resources if not needed).

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2007, 03:22:29 PM »
I guess you have the Outlook/Exchange provider enabled (this is for MS Outlook, not express) ?

If so terminate it and enable the Internet Mail provider which monitors other pop3 email programs like OE.
<snip>

<snip>
Ensure the Outlook/Exchange provider is Terminated and the Internet Mail provider is enabled.
<snip>

It is totally pointless to leave it running, it is just causing you grief to start with as is the whole reason of your topic. As has been said numerous occasions Terminate it.

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2007, 08:14:29 PM »
You could go one step further and remove the Outlook provider, if you're not using it.  Go into Add-Remove, click on Avast then on Modify (or however it's worded).  Untick the Outlook provider and save your changes.  You'll then be told to reboot, since the resident providers have been changed.

And if you ever do need Outlook, just add it back in the same way, no big deal.

(Edit) As a P.S., your mouse-over status should then show one less provider total, with all of them now running.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 08:16:48 PM by MikeBCda »
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2007, 03:35:36 AM »
Forget about any comments saying it does not use resources if not needed
Why are you so rude in this affirmation?
If the user (or another person uses the computer) install MS Office and start to use Outlook, what will be the situation?
I can't see Outlook provider using resources... why do you say so?
The best things in life are free.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2007, 06:59:56 AM »
Why advise people to clutter their system with unneeded functions that only serves to confuse them?

Seems simple enough to me.

It was not rude it was just my advice (as good as anyone else's).
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 07:01:28 AM by alanrf »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2007, 03:13:09 PM »
I don't think Alan's comment rude, just a matter of fact recommendation not to run providers that you don't need.

I only have 4 running, the Outlook/Exchange, Instant Messaging and P2P providers being terminated on my setup. I don't go as far as removing them with the add remove/change function as I often use them for reference in the forums, but there is no way I would leave them running and it isn't a matter of resources used, just I don't need them.

The same is true of my firewall, it has 7 plug-ins and I only use 2 of them the others are terminated. I don't run non-essential elements/plug-ins/applications.

warenpeace

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2007, 08:25:52 PM »
I'm in a similar situation (running XP SP2 with Outlook 2003 (not Express)

My "Outlook/Exchange" provider is not running and I've recently had some virus issues.  If "Internet Mail" is running am I OK?

warenpeace

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2007, 08:35:37 PM »
Sorry, figured it out myself with more reading.  My plugin was somehow disabled so i went to outlook, help, about ms and enabled the Avast plugin.  Now I want to know what disabled it  >:(

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2007, 09:01:12 PM »
So do I, Outlook can possibly disable a plug-in if it experiences any problem. The waiting for subsystem should provide a nudge to ensure it isn't disabled in the future.

If you also have the Internet Mail provider enables, yes it would provide protection, but it is not as flexible as the outlook/exchange plug-in.