Author Topic: Log not recording viruses  (Read 4175 times)

hegedusa

Log not recording viruses
« on: February 28, 2004, 05:26:55 PM »
First of all, I must say I am very impressed with Avast software - it's a lot slicker than symantec....

Anyway, my questions are:

I've had several emails arrive with mydoom, netsky etc recently and I see nothing in the log.  I use outlook 2003 and I'm using the avast professional (demo mode at the moment) version. Should the log contain a log of every virus found?

Also, how can I set the MS Outlook scanner to automatically delete the virus, and behave silently.  At the moment, it does move the email to a folder (I created an Infected folder), but I would really like all emails to automatically move there without asking me whether I want to delete etc. There doesn't seem to be a "silent" option on the outlook protection provider.

It would be good if for the other providers  where there is a "silent" option had a few more options (the "with general answer "cancel" " type options are difficult to understand what they're going to do) such as "delete", "allow" , "quarantine" etc.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re:Log not recording viruses
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2004, 08:34:21 PM »
Good that you have avast Pro. With it, you can customize it the way you want and beyond :)

Start avast in Enhanced UI, go to the Tasks folder, and edit the Resident Protection task. Click the 'Advanced configuration' check box in the bottom-left corner, and scroll the tree to the Outlook/Exchange branch, Virus page. Here, delete the action 'Interactive' and enter the chain you'd like.

E.g.

REPAIR IFFAILS MOVE2CHEST IFFAILS DELETE

Confirm the changes and - that's it!

About the logs: what you're looking for the report file. By default, the generation of the report file for the Resident Protection file is already  enabled and is located in the <avast>\data\report folder, file called 'Resident Protection.txt'. This also can be re-configured by editing the Resident Protection task (you can even change the format of the report to XML, if you'd prefer that).

Thanks,
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

hegedusa

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2004, 12:12:31 AM »
Thank you for that.  I just about managed to find that out for myself not long before you wrote the reply!

It's a bit complex, and not what I would call "for the average user" but then the average user is probably happy with the default settings anyway.....

As a professional (I repair people's home PCs for a living), I am recommending Avast more and more over Norton. The basic version is simple and reliable and just works.  

As for myself I'll be more than happy to discard my Noprton Antivirus now and pay for Avast Professional. It's an excellent program !

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2004, 02:56:50 PM »
As for myself I'll be more than happy to discard my Norton Antivirus now and pay for Avast Professional. It's an excellent program !

Wise decision!  ;D
If you need help to uninstall completely the NAV, just send me an IM?  ;) But be happy, I´m here because I get rid from Norton, after Vlk and Kubecj precious help, lot of lost hours... To get rid from Norton is one of the most difficult things in the earth!  :P
The best things in life are free.

whocares

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2004, 03:38:02 PM »
I see nothing in the log.

I have a similar problem with the quickscanner not logging viruses/actions:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=2985

???

hegedusa

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2004, 09:06:57 AM »
I'm familiar with the problems of removing Norton - it's a bit like a virus! Most of the time it removes itself OK, but there is a "norton removal tool" available at their website.