Author Topic: No HTTP-rendering possible with Web shield active  (Read 5510 times)

Ridle

No HTTP-rendering possible with Web shield active
« on: August 19, 2007, 03:55:31 PM »
If I have the Avast-service 'Web shield' active, it's impossible to render HTTP-pages/sites. HTTPs and FTP work just fine.
When I stop this specific service HTTP-rendering kicks off again.

This phenomenon appeared just after patch Tuesday.
I don't know if they are interconnected.

I fully deleted Avast and did a clean reinstall with the latest version available on the site.

Anyone a clue, because I feel rather uncomfortable with the Web shield down?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: No HTTP-rendering possible with Web shield active
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2007, 03:57:52 PM »
Which firewall do you use?
Is ashWebSv.exe allowed to connect? If you remove the entry into your firewall settings and browse again, allowing it to connect, will it work?
Which is your operational system?
Do you use any proxy?
The best things in life are free.

Ridle

<Extra info> No HTTP-rendering possible with Web shield active
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007, 04:15:39 PM »
nVidia Firewall with ActiveArmor enabled.
Windows XP Home edition SP2.
I don't use a proxy.
I cannot verify if ashWebSv.exe is allowed to connect because I cannot enter the firewall's configuration page (http://localhost...)
gives a 'page not found error although the target html page exists.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2007, 04:21:16 PM »
If I have the Avast-service 'Web shield' active, it's impossible to render HTTP-pages/sites. HTTPs and FTP work just fine.
When I stop this specific service HTTP-rendering kicks off again.
<snip>

Since the web shield only monitors http port 80 traffic it cont monitor ftp traffic, nor will it monitor https (secure encrypted) traffic because it can't.

What you are experiencing would appear to be firewall blocking ashwebsv.exe, you need to find a means of allowing ashwebsv.exe in the activearmour firewall. I don't know anything about activearmour, perhaps there is a support forums, etc.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2007, 04:35:49 PM »
I cannot verify if ashWebSv.exe is allowed to connect because I cannot enter the firewall's configuration page (http://localhost...)
Even you disable WebShield can't you reach that page?
If you disable your firewall (or uninstall it), will WebShield work?

Ridle

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2007, 04:47:26 PM »
Even you disable WebShield can't you reach that page?
If you disable your firewall (or uninstall it), will WebShield work?

WebShield disabled doesn't solve this problem (http:///localhost:3476 obviously uses port 3476 - so this seems to be affected to).
Firewall disabled -> with WebShield active port 80 is shutted down.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 04:52:08 PM by Ridle »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2007, 04:58:53 PM »
My guessing is the same as David...

What you are experiencing would appear to be firewall blocking ashwebsv.exe, you need to find a means of allowing ashwebsv.exe in the activearmour firewall.

Ridle

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2007, 03:52:12 PM »
What you are experiencing would appear to be firewall blocking ashwebsv.exe, you need to find a means of allowing ashwebsv.exe in the activearmour firewall.

I disabled the firewall -> nope.
I declared 'ashwebsv.exe' as a trusted application/service -> nope.
With WebShield active HTTP-rendering is impossible (in IE 7 and Firefox 2).
I must add that everything worked just fine until the MS security upgrades from last Tuesday.
Should be something on XP-level (and not IE) because Firefox experiences the same problem.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 03:57:45 PM by Ridle »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2007, 04:02:20 PM »
Our problem is we now very little about activearmour so we can offer any practical help. There are a number of topics in the forums which mention activearmour and some report problems, so much so that I think you should consider another option.

I know that some firewalls even when supposedly disabled have drivers, etc. still running. Unfortunately I know nothing about activearmour so I'm at a loss as to what to suggest.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Ridle

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2007, 04:11:05 PM »
Anyhow thanks a lot.
I disabled all firewall services running (with 'What's running'). No result.
I don't think it's a firewall problem.
Maybe i'll compare with another antivirus application to see if I get results from that.

By the way. I presume that with WebShield disabled a virus can get in but the 'Standard shield' will prevent it to come alive.
Correct?

swico

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2007, 04:15:11 PM »
I presume that with WebShield disabled a virus can get in but the 'Standard shield' will prevent it to come alive.
Correct?
Yes, you are right.
Web shield is just a suplement for Standard shield in such a case.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2007, 04:22:51 PM »
<snip>
By the way. I presume that with WebShield disabled a virus can get in but the 'Standard shield' will prevent it to come alive.
Correct?

That is correct and the standard shield may even stop it being saved on the HDD as depending on the file type (executable) and standard shield settings it scans newly created files. The web shield just additional depth to the overall protection. There are many AVs out there that don't have anything like the web shield.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2007, 05:12:38 PM »
I must add that everything worked just fine until the MS security upgrades from last Tuesday.
Should be something on XP-level (and not IE) because Firefox experiences the same problem.
You're right... seems that.
But last MS updates changed svchost.exe file and then, if the firewall is behaving strange with this update you could not connect at all. Can't you configure your firewall (with another tool than a browser, like a wizard, for instance)?