Author Topic: VRDB question?  (Read 5742 times)

sanctuary24

VRDB question?
« on: August 19, 2007, 09:44:35 PM »
What if VRDB backed up a system file that was infected (ie no definitions existed for it at the time) and you needed to restore the system file, would Avast detect it and repair it so you could replace it or would you have to hope you had another backed up version to restore from that was clean?

Ps if you restore from a file in VRDB from say 3 weeks back would you lose all new installations made after that backup or anything or would it only lose basic changes since then?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: VRDB question?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2007, 10:10:53 PM »
The three last versions info are stored.
Indeed, if the last version is infected but not detected by the virus database, you'll have an infected info in the VRDB.
You can't 'restore' a file from VRDB. It's not a backup utility, it just store executable info not the file itself.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007, 10:22:45 PM »
It doesn't back-up the file as such, just enough information to be able to set it back to normal. The VRDB keeps three generations so it has the ability to go back a generation. If you hadn't done a recent VRDB generation which included that file, you would be pack to that generation.

However the VRDB works in conjunction with the avast scanner, first that must detect an infected file, then it would have to recognise that the file is protected by the VRDB and that this is a true virus infection, then an only then would you be offered the option of a repair.

So there are limitations in what the VRDB can achieve, but it can't be run by the user only by avast.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

sanctuary24

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2007, 10:29:53 PM »
So if it is limited does that mean Avast can only (for the majority of the time) remove viruses and not repair them to a working state??

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2007, 10:43:01 PM »
No it does what we say it can only protect files included in the vrdb generation.

The VRDB only protects certain files, .exe, dll and other system files, it doesn't protect data files or all files, it is not a back-up program, so there are going to be many occasions where repair won't be an option.

Only true virus infection can be repaired, e.g. when a virus infects a file it adds a small part to it, provided that file is one that avast's VRDB would monitor and you have run the VRDB, then it may be possible to repair the file to its uninfected state.

However, for the most part so called viruses, trojans (adware/spyware/malware, etc.) can't be repaired because the complete content of the file is malicious.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2007, 11:07:25 PM »
remove viruses and not repair them to a working state??
This is how avast works.
There isn't other antivirus that 'repair' file infected as avast. Others even do it, just remove the file or send it to Quarantine.

sanctuary24

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2007, 11:26:06 PM »
not trying to be inconsiderate or anything mate

Am I right in saying that system files can be repaired as long as VRDB monitored that file and for basic infections Avast can remove the virus from the file

What about basic files such as Word documents can they be cleaned with Avast when infected?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2007, 11:30:06 PM »
What about basic files such as Word documents can they be cleaned when infected?
Here is the explanation... yes, avast can delete only the macros and clean the document.

sanctuary24

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2007, 11:34:02 PM »
In future updates will the virus cleaning technology get better (ie allow better repairs etc) or is this system we have now going to be used in future?

thank you for the help, and again no offence was meant to anyone

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2007, 11:41:47 PM »
In future updates will the virus cleaning technology get better (ie allow better repairs etc) or is this system we have now going to be used in future?
There is no need for it as other files aren't infected but they are the virus itself: infected registry keys, trojans, temporary files, etc.

again no offence was meant to anyone
You're not offending anyone asking for help and trying to learn about avast.
We, users that are helping, could be sometimes impatient and do not give precise and clear answers.

sanctuary24

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2007, 11:47:48 PM »
I see so most viruses are within their own files and therefore must be deleted, System files can be repaired better if they are in VRDB and ones that infect basic files can be repaired, is that right?

ps Have you ever had a virus infection in the time you have had Avast (answer honestly please)?

Is there a topic that lists upcoming improvements to Avast?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 11:52:13 PM by sanctuary24 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2007, 12:14:59 AM »
I see so most viruses are within their own files and therefore must be deleted
You're right.

System files can be repaired better if they are in VRDB and ones that infect basic files can be repaired, is that right?
The difference aren't on system and non-system files but the type (extension) of it.

ps Have you ever had a virus infection in the time you have had Avast (answer honestly please)?
Yes. Twice. avast did not pick the trojan.

Is there a topic that lists upcoming improvements to Avast?
Not precisely but there is a wishlist in the top of the forum thread list.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2007, 12:27:20 AM »
Many people incorrectly use the term virus to mean almost everything. A computer virus is really no different to a normal human virus infection, first you have the carrier/virus element and it infects what was a non-infected human.

So we can find and detect the actual virus infector file (which is completely malicious and can't be repaired) and then we can attempt to remove/repair the virus element from the files it infected.

The greatest majority of malware now isn't a true virus, but trojans which can be adware or spyware.

I personally haven't had a virus infection since installing avast, but I don't just rely on avast as no single program is likely to protect you against everything. I use an anti-spam program which catches a lot more than just spam, I can training it to detect suspect emails that are most certainly phishing attempts, like the e-card, banking, security alerts, etc. I use anti-spyware, etc. but the most underrated protection is common sense.

swico

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2007, 12:22:06 PM »
Does VRDB only work for exe and dll files? Any other files?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2007, 03:17:41 PM »
Generally system files and exe, dll, it isn't a back-up tool just there trying to protect more essential files, the avast.int file which contains the integrity information would be enormous if it tried to protect everything.

Basically you should have a back-up and recovery strategy, which starts with if you don't want to lose it back it up. A recovery strategy to recover from serious problems that could cause you to have to completely reinstall everything again, just imaging the grief you would suffer if the unthinkable happened. I do a weekly image of my 1st hard disk partitions and save it to a second hard disk or DVD, if anything happens, I can have my first hard disk restored in around 15 minutes.

I have had to do this on a number of occasions and you wouldn't believe how good it makes you feel being able to recover in 15 minutes what would have taken hours or possibly days to recover.