Author Topic: Chinese translation is not good  (Read 3555 times)

swico

Chinese translation is not good
« on: August 20, 2007, 12:55:13 PM »
Sometimes I cannot catch the meaning of Chinese translation, so I have to swift to English UI.
It is funny. :)
For example, "Splash Screen" should be described as "闪屏" in Chinese, but not "溅射屏幕".
Why not let Avast! fans in China do this job? I am sure that they will do it better.

puppy1984

Re: Chinese translation is not good
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 03:27:39 PM »
Sometimes I cannot catch the meaning of Chinese translation, so I have to swift to English UI.
It is funny. :)
For example, "Splash Screen" should be described as "闪屏" in Chinese, but not "溅射屏幕".
Why not let Avast! fans in China do this job? I am sure that they will do it better.
i am quite agree with you,this task will be done splendidly by our Chinese

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 05:39:29 PM »

i am quite agree with you,this task will be done splendidly by our Chinese

So, go ahead... avast is translated by users and not by Alwil team (that does the Czech and the English version only).
Talk about that with Igor and you'll help everybody to have a better translation of avast.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 06:38:34 PM »
I thought that Alwil had contracted a Chinese translator, I could be wrong though.

@ swico
<snip>

I think that part of the problem is there might not be a literal translation, for example if I translate your suggestion it returns "Dodges the screen" and the other translates to "Sputtering screen." So I'm sure there are similar problems going from English to Chinese Simplified.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

swico

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 06:50:13 PM »
IMO, there are two possible reasons of the bad translation:
1. The translator is not good at IT;
2. The translator does not reside in Mainland China.

Quote from: DavidR
I thought that Alwil had contracted a Chinese translator, I could be wrong though.
Oh, it is good news!

shgoh

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2007, 11:46:09 PM »
2. The translator does not reside in Mainland China.

As a Chinese descendant myself, I strongly believe that not all overseas or overseas-born Chinese are poor with Chinese simplified or traditional, though I'm not really one of them ;)

Sometimes it's true that overseas Chinese uses different terms or words to those in Mainland 8)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 11:51:50 PM by shgoh »

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2007, 08:46:26 AM »
As a matter of fact, the translation (to both Traditional- and Simplified-) Chinese has been done by our own Chinese staff. The lady lives in Prague but was born and raised in mainland China (but very near to Taiwan - so that she's also proficient with Traditional Chinese).

Of course, if you have any corrections, please feel free to send'em in. Or even better, you can get in touch directly with Fay (that's her name). I've told her to take a look at this thread.

Edit: oh I somehow forgot that she's now on holidays. I think she's coming back next week.

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

swico

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2007, 10:22:51 AM »
Thanks for the prompt reply,
I will try to collect other chinese users' proposals about correction  and submit them to you.

Best regards,
Swico