Author Topic: differences between pro and home  (Read 2610 times)

noobie

differences between pro and home
« on: August 21, 2007, 04:02:46 PM »
i just got avast and i was playing around and watever and it said u have to have pro for this feature or watever so i was wondering wat the real difference is form someone who doesnt know a lot about computers and stuff
ps i am still in skool and dont rly want to spend money on software

swico

Re: differences between pro and home
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 04:18:00 PM »
The Pro edition has a script blocker and can automatically treat files detected by manual scan.
IMO, the Home edition is good enough.
In the ordinary way, there's no need to change to the Pro edition.

Rafel

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 04:19:35 PM »
If you are very young and have no much money, i recommend you Avast! Home.
It's very good.
Differences betwen home and pro are:
Enhanced User Interface (Professional Edition only)

In addition to the Simple User Interface, the Professional Edition presents the Enhanced User Interface, giving you access to all features and possibilities for extensive scanning control.

Unlike the Simple User Interface, the scanning is performed by so-called "tasks". First, you define a task, including various parameters - areas to scan, what to scan, how to scan, etc. Having the task, you can run it (possibly repeatedly). Each task generates a list of results, which you can work with later.

Another key feature, closely connected with tasks, is the Scheduler. This feature gives you the ability to schedule the tasks running, either one-time or periodically.

Additionally, it is possible to set all existing scanning options, a feature not available in the Simple User Interface.

Script Blocker (Professional Edition only)

The resident protection of the Professional Edition includes an additional module, not contained in the Home Edition, called Script Blocker. This module watches all scripts being executed in the operating system (so-called WSH scripts - Windows Scripting Host), and scans all the scripts run as a part of a web page within your web browser (Internet Explorer, Netscape Navigator and Mozilla).

PUSH updates (Professional Edition only)

A special feature of the Professional Edition is PUSH updates. It is a dramatic change in the philosophy of updates. Usually, every installed program checks occasionally for new version availability. PUSH updates, however, are initialized by our server; they result in your computer quickly responding and performing the necessary update. The system is based on the SMTP protocol (as used for e-mail messages). The update itself is controlled by the avast! resident e-mail providers (MS Outlook and Internet Mail).

The whole system is protected by asymmetric ciphers and is resistant to unauthorized misuse.

Command-line scanner (Professional Edition only)

For experienced users, the Professional Edition features a command-line scanner. Scanning can be controlled by many arguments and switches; to use as a pipe filter; and a special STDIN/STDOUT mode is available.

The module is intended to be used in BATCH programs. Its output is the same as the output from the Enhanced User Interface tasks (including the report files).

I use Avast! home, and i'm bery happy( in future i'll purchase Pro, now i have no money :D). No virus infections, no problems, no slowdowns. And a lot of common sense
You can see my signature, all freeware.

Jem

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 12:38:07 AM »
i just got avast and i was playing around and watever and it said u have to have pro for this feature or watever so i was wondering wat the real difference is form someone who doesnt know a lot about computers and stuff
ps i am still in skool and dont rly want to spend money on software

Noobie - Avast Home is fine for you. I would advise you as I would my own kids:

1) DON'T download anything you don't understand and are not 100% sure about. There are many websites and 'spam' e-mails that will encourage you to download attractive sounding things, like 'useful toolbars' and 'smiley packages for Messenger' for example. Keep away from them - this is a classic way to 'catch a cold'. If in doubt, ASK someone who might know...like us!

2) If you use MSN / Live Messenger, DO NOT accept files sent to you by anyone you don't know. Even then I would keep it to photos.

3) Keep off the 'dodgy' websites ;)

Avast will protect you from most of these things most of the time, as with any Anti-Virus software, but it's also down to you to be sensible about what you do and where you go on the web.

Good Luck - come back if you need more help.

shgoh

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 03:27:06 AM »
The comparison can be found here...

http://www.avast.com/eng/av4_version_comp.html