Author Topic: Help with Avast Home Edition  (Read 4424 times)

gtdobson

Help with Avast Home Edition
« on: August 21, 2007, 04:19:49 PM »
Hi,

I downloaded and installed Avast but my computer is having seriuos problems since. I did the initial boot scan, turned off then when I restarted I could not get past the login screen. When I clicked my name I was logged on then immediately was logged off so I wasn't able to access any files/programs etc. I checked out this forum, restarted Windows in safe mode, uninstalled Avast and rebooted but the same problem is happening. I have previously installed and uninstalled AVG and Norton antivirus. I have a Dell Windows XP Pentium 4.
Can anyone help ? ??? 

swico

Re: Help with Avast Home Edition
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 04:37:11 PM »
Try to boot from XP CD and perform repair your system (not reinstall), then reinstall Avast! home edition.
Hope it is helpful.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 05:03:52 AM »
I did the initial boot scan
Does avast detected anything? Have you answered to 'delete' or 'send to Chest' any file?

Restarted Windows in safe mode, uninstalled Avast and rebooted but the same problem is happening. I have previously installed and uninstalled AVG and Norton antivirus. I have a Dell Windows XP Pentium 4.Can anyone help ? ??? 
Most probably you need to fully get rid from Norton (and possibly from AVG too):
1) Remove NAV through Add/Remove programs from Control Panel. Boot.
2) Use Norton Removal Tool for Windows 2000/XP/Vista 2008.0.0.21.
3) Boot.
4) Install avast! Boot.
5) See what you get.
The best things in life are free.

gtdobson

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2007, 09:47:43 AM »
Hi,

Thanks for your answer. I logged on to Windows in safe mode, uninstalled all the Norton programs and AVG antivirus. However, I can not get past the log in screen even in safe mode now so I am at a complete loss as to what to do next. Any suggestions ?

Thanks

Rafel

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2007, 04:03:10 PM »
If you log in safe mode with internet connection. Download Boot safe.
Wit this little program you can choose mode you want log.
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/bootsafe.html

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2007, 06:01:37 AM »
I can not get past the log in screen even in safe mode
Hmm... this seems problematic...

Overinstallation can solve the problem and you won't lose your programs, settings, data, files, etc.
Just choose 'Repair' installation of Windows and install 'over' the old installation.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;315341
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q314058
http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp.htm

I'm not sure if it will work...

gtdobson

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2007, 10:04:17 AM »
Hi.

I've managed to get a Windows XP cd. However, my computer doesn't seem to be set up to boot fron the DVD Rom and I don't have a floppy drive. How do I adjust the computer to do this ? Also, how dcan I back up data that I can't access to copy to CD etc ?

Thanks again,

GD

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2007, 10:54:35 AM »
You need to enter into the BIOS and set the first boot device to cd-rom. Many newer mobo's however offer you an option to set the boot device without going into BIOS by pressing a special key just before the boot up sequence starts. We will need to know your mobo maker/model before we can tell you what key enters the BIOS and which one enters the boot selection screen.

Usually for going into BIOS you need to press the delete key but it varies from mobo to mobo.

gtdobson

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2007, 09:36:27 PM »
Hi,

I did this and managed to boot from CD. I reinstalled (repair install only) Windows XP, registered with Microsoft over the 'phone and then rebooted. However, I was repeatedly asked to activate Windows and when I tried a reinstall, I get the blue error screen. It also wouldn't work in safe mode. So, I don't know what to do next apart from get someone out to fix it....

Thanks

GD

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2007, 09:54:31 PM »
I get the blue error screen.
When?
Can't you boot in Safe Mode and uninstall avast from there?
After that, follow my previous instructions to get rid from Norton...