Author Topic: Registration of avast! 4 Home Edition.  (Read 3388 times)

The_Newb_Avenger

Registration of avast! 4 Home Edition.
« on: August 31, 2007, 03:02:08 AM »
Before I explain my minor problem, you should note that... I'm not exactly great when it comes to computers, but that doesn't mean I'm clueless...

Okay, as I was saying, should I register before installing avast! Antivirus? Or after? Also, the process [of registration] is free right? As an aspiring and young teenager, I am quite busy, and want answers usually instantly...

Oh, and is this effective or morally wrong? A couple of days before my trial period is over... I uninstall avast! Antivirus, then install it again (hence, the period starts from the beginning)... ;_;

Should I do that? Will it make avast! Antivirus null? Would there be any problems?

Thanks, anyone, in advance. :)

Oh, and by the way: Terrific program! This computer has never been this stable before! And it deals with viruses rather effectively, if I do say so myself. =D

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
Re: Registration of avast! 4 Home Edition.
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2007, 04:13:40 AM »
Register after installing Avast, within (I think) 14days? (Maybe longer, can't remember.)
The registration process is straightforward. From the help files:
Home users can get the key by filling out an on-line form on the web pages of ALWIL Software (see below).

You can enter your license key in the following ways:

First program start. During the first program start, avast! displays a small window where you can enter your license key.
From the Simple User Interface menu. In the Simple User Interface, select Menu ® About avast! and press the License key button at the bottom of the window that appears.
From the Resident protection menu. Click the "a"-letter icon in the system tray with your right mouse button, select About avast! from the popup menu and click the "License key" button.

I don't think it works to uninstall it then expect the "trial" period to start again. I''ve never tried this with Avast, never needed to, but with some other trial programs once the trial is over, it's over, and you can't re-start it.
As to "morally wrong", the idea probably is, but in this case the program is free, which kind of negates that proposition.
I've had Avast home slightly over a year. Registration was straightforward. So was re-registration. Just do it, don't worry.

Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2007, 04:15:01 AM »
Registration is free and the key is good for 1 year. The trial is 60 days. Sorry it won't star all over from the begining. Besides, it's free, so what's to gain. As for morally, you decide.

You can register whenever you want. If the trial expires the program will still work, it just won't update.

hth

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2007, 02:31:27 PM »
Okay, as I was saying, should I register before installing avast! Antivirus? Or after?
Never mind. Before or after you'll have 60 days at the first installation of avast to use the trial version.

Oh, and is this effective or morally wrong? A couple of days before my trial period is over... I uninstall avast! Antivirus, then install it again (hence, the period starts from the beginning)... ;_;
It won't. There is an antipiracy feature that will reduce the trial period to 6 days after the first installation.
The best things in life are free.