Author Topic: an error occurred in Avast engine-No such file or directory  (Read 9386 times)

linuxlady

an error occurred in Avast engine-No such file or directory
« on: September 01, 2007, 08:50:02 AM »
Hello!

I recently redid my ubuntu install with Xubuntu( my machine is a few years old, and with xubuntu, it flies), and  re-installed Avast. When I scan anything, the report lists hundreds of files, and the message when right-clicked: "An error occurred in Avast engine- no such file or directory". However, the files ARE most certainly there. What's happening? I'm running Xubuntu Feisty Fawn. The files listed are anything from root to my home files which I know are in the home folder. Anybody have any ideas as to why Avast seems to think I have an empty computer?
Thanks!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: an error occurred in Avast engine-No such file or directory
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2007, 02:23:42 PM »
Can you post the log here? At least the names and paths of these files?
The best things in life are free.

linuxlady

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2007, 09:15:34 AM »
Something a little different this time- when I scanned my home directory, it only found  a few (mostly archives) that it couldn't scan because avast says they're corrupted. Which they aren't- I opened them ages ago- but no more listings of lots of files. Still get the same error message when I right-click. At least now it seems to scan normally.
When I do a full system scan, it won't scan root, sys, proc, and some devices with  various error messages: device doesn't exist-permission denied-I assume from what I've read this is normal on a normal system? Still the same when I right-click on any of these files. If it's working otherwise, I'll just settle for this. Not too many others use my machine, anyway, and if avast can scan my directory now, then that's ok.  At least if they do something hazardous, I can find it.
I assume this means avast is scanning my home for viruses, and it's working okay?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2007, 01:25:06 AM »
Please post the full paths of the affected files - both for the "not found" and "corrupted" files (or the corresponding pieces of the report file, which includes the error codes as well); it's rather hard to say anything in general, without more info.

emaginet

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2007, 01:28:20 PM »
Hi,

Had the same problem.
If you look in the .avast folder in your home dir there is a file called avastgui.log.
This file will tell you why all the files occur in the list.
It doesn't however explain why you get the error message! :(

My files were on the list due to: Permission denied, No such device and a few with Invalid argument.

Maybe the Tech can shed some light on this?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2007, 02:48:10 PM »
Maybe the Tech can shed some light on this?
I wish I could... without the name and the path of these files I won't be able even to guess.
Permission denied could be solved with scanning at boot time.
No such device could be removable media (CD, USB, floppy...)
Invalid argument could be due to unpacking... who knows... ???
The best things in life are free.