Author Topic: How to suppress the pop up window when avast! finds a virus in outlook?  (Read 2925 times)

yves

Hi,

I would like to suppress the information pop up window when avast! finds a virus in outlook and (having indicated by default to delete the virus).
Is it possible? and if yes where to set it up (I couldn't find it in the settings screen).

And if this possibility exists, does it exist in Home and in Pro versions?

Thanks
yves

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: How to suppress the pop up window when avast! finds a virus in outlook?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 08:43:32 PM »
Firstly 'Deletion' isn't really a good first option (you have none left), 'first do no harm' don't delete, send virus to the chest and investigate.

These advanced automated options are only available in the Pro version. This is a limitation of the Home (free) version that it has interactive input requirement, there have to be differences in the Home/Pro version and this is one of them, the programmers have to eat ;D

You only have a limited option in the Home (free) version, to send the infected file to the virus Chest (silent mode, with general answer no, see below).

My own feeling on this is you should use the default interactive action. This way you know exactly what is going on with your system. If you are getting so many warnings, that you want to automate this process, I believe you should review your security practice - filter emails at source, delete from server rather than download them, review the sites they visit, etc.

See the avast help file, Resident Protection: Standard Shield Provider Settings - "Advanced" Page.
Click on Standard Shield and then on Customize.
Go to Advanced tab and select Silent Mode and the General answer No.

Leave the file in the chest for a few weeks (it can do no harm from there) to ensure no adverse effect from being moved to the chest. Then scan the file again in the chest to ensure it is still detected as infected and if so delete it from the chest.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

yves

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007, 10:03:51 PM »
Hi David,

:) Thank you for your explanation. Very clear and it helped me as I didn't know where to look initially.
Thank you also for your advice.
I have been able to to implement it (as I effectively installed the Pro version thinking that this option I was looking for could be in the differences with home version :-) )
yves

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 10:20:46 PM »
Actually, what David suggested aplies to the Standard Shield (i.e. the file system monitor). To change the setting for the OUTLOOK provider, do the same (turn on "Silent mode") but (surprise, surprise) for the Outlook/Exchange provider.

Cheers
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 10:36:27 PM »
Hi David,

:) Thank you for your explanation. Very clear and it helped me as I didn't know where to look initially.
Thank you also for your advice.
I have been able to to implement it (as I effectively installed the Pro version thinking that this option I was looking for could be in the differences with home version :-) )
yves

No problem, welcome to the forums.

@ Vlk
Thanks, I missed the bit about it being outlook.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security