Author Topic: New program update?  (Read 4231 times)

sanctuary24

New program update?
« on: September 06, 2007, 06:13:41 PM »
On the main Avast page it says theres a new program update for Avast is this Beta or a new finalised update?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: New program update?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 06:30:36 PM »
The main page doesn't show beta builds so it would that the beta has been updated and released.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

sanctuary24

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 06:34:56 PM »
That was quick then as it went Beta last week didn't it?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 06:39:18 PM »
Yes, it was quick, but there wasn't anything complex in the update, I think it was Vlk who said it was likely only to take a few days.

You can click on the link on the main page to see the changes or click this link, http://www.avast.com/eng/avast-4-home_pro-revision-history.html
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 06:41:20 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007, 07:51:23 PM »
avast! Professional 4.7.1043 has been released.
For more details, visit: http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/avast_Professional/1034566665/2
The best things in life are free.

Rick F

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2007, 10:56:11 PM »
Well, I didn't see anyone having trouble updating to the newest version (4.7.1043) so I updated a while ago.  It downloaded and installed as all the other programs updates have done. Told me I needed to reboot - so I did.

Then I noticed that it took a long time for the icons to show up on the systray. avast spinning stopped for awhile and when I hovered over the avast icon, it only said 2 services were running (I normally have 4 services running). When I checked the 'about' on avast, nothing would come up.  AND, there was one important service that did not load, "Symantec LiveState Recovery" (this is my image backup service for backing up my HDD).  I tried checking mail, and OE worked fine, but I didn't get the normal pop-up from ZoneAlarm telling me a new service was trying to access the internet (which would have been avast 'Internet mail' module). This should have happened since avast is now a new program... always has in the past after program update.

I saw somewhere on the forum that there were a few people who said that the 'about' on avast didn't show as being the new version (1043) until they rebooted a second time.  So I decided to try that.  My windows (WinXP Media Ctr) wouldn't shut down -- said avast was not responding.  I waited for awhile and finally had to tell it to 'shut down now'.  Then another module of avast wouldn't respond either (forget which module, sorry). Had to 'shut down now' on that one too.

Then at next reboot, everything loaded normally... including 'LiveState Recovery' thank goodness. avast now showed 4 services running.  Then when I launched OE, I got the expected pop-up from ZoneAlarm that a new program (avast) wanted access. Same with IE, ZoneAlarm pop-up said avast (webshield) wants access.

So everything is fine after the second reboot.  The only thing I can think of is... normally I clean out temporary internet files before I do an update or download and install a new program.  I forgot to do that this time.

Just a possible heads up to others. <shrug>

jwall

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2007, 11:18:23 PM »
I had my system set up for "ask when update available" and I never got a notification.  I did an update through the menu/settings and everything went smoothly.  Rebooted once and everything OK.  ??

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2007, 11:39:15 PM »
Symantec LiveState Recovery
Are you using any other Symantec product?

Rick F

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2007, 01:04:18 AM »
Symantec LiveState Recovery
Are you using any other Symantec product?

I knew someone was going to ask that, LOL. 

Nope.  Never had and never will have NAV on any PC.  'LiveState Recovery' is a utility that allows me to backup my "C" drive to an external HDD thru USB or network.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2007, 06:13:24 AM »
I knew someone was going to ask that, LOL. 

Nope.  Never had and never will have NAV on any PC.  'LiveState Recovery' is a utility that allows me to backup my "C" drive to an external HDD thru USB or network.
LOL... I'd rather Acronis True Image.

Rick F

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2007, 05:05:06 PM »
Acronis!!  I had that one first (Ver 9 I think it was because I never plan to go to Vista).  When my "C" drive crashed in February and wouldn't boot, I tried a recovery with Acronis.  Acronis wouldn't even see my "C" drive after it booted from CD rom. The only drive it saw was my USB drive. Couldn't recover anything!

I contacted Acronis support (after about a week of rebuilding my 'C' drive manually) and told them my problems.  All they said was, "Sorry, we'll try to improve". 

Wasted money for me.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2007, 10:30:32 PM »
Sorry for your negative experience, Rick.
Mine is not bad. Even support I've received one day after asking for it. Not that bad.