Author Topic: Avast unregisters after ImageX but not with Ghost  (Read 6448 times)

SeN10eL

Avast unregisters after ImageX but not with Ghost
« on: September 07, 2007, 03:00:52 PM »
If i take an Image of a fresh install and fully updated laptop with ghost ver 11 and ghost it to the same model laptop all is well.
If i do the same using ImageX, on boot of the new laptop avast pro asks for me to purchase it.
I do understand that Ghost does a complete sector by sector copy of the entire partition and ImageX copies files and folders.
But what is confusing me is that every other installed software is registered and works fine all except Avast Pro.

I do not understand why this is like this
Especially as Microsoft WIAK is the preferred way of imaging windows Vista PC's... could be a huge problem!

Avast Pro version 4.7.1001
XP Pro SP2
HP NX6310

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast unregisters after ImageX but not with Ghost
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2007, 03:13:52 PM »
I have the same issue (avast home) when restoring an image with Drive Image in that it doesn't recognise that it has been installed and registered previously. I click the Registration and enter my key again.

I don't know why this happens but it does so with monotonous regularity and I haven't a clue why as like you Drive Image is an exact copy (from the last weekly image) of my partitions.

Now since Symantec bought out PowerQuest the makers of Drive Image (DI), they incorporated the elements from DI and Ghost into one program, perhaps this DI issue was also inherited in the new Ghost.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

SeN10eL

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2007, 03:45:23 PM »
It seems to work with Ghost 11 ok its just ImageX that fails
I have been through the file exclusion list in ImageX but nothing mentioned could possibly contain registration info for Avast

Hiberfile.sys
ntfs.log
pagefile.sys
system volume information
recycler
windows\csc

none of these have any reference to avast i have checked

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2007, 03:57:50 PM »
If i do the same using ImageX, on boot of the new laptop avast pro asks for me to purchase it.

I have the same issue (avast home) when restoring an image with Drive Image in that it doesn't recognise that it has been installed and registered previously. I click the Registration and enter my key again.

I don't know why this happens but it does so with monotonous regularity and I haven't a clue why as like you Drive Image is an exact copy (from the last weekly image) of my partitions.
This is a well known antipiracy feature of avast.
After restoring, run ashavast.exe from the avast folder, add the license key, boot.

The problem is NOT on the image backup tool.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2007, 04:15:07 PM »
I think what we are saying from an exact bit by bit image avast should have the state of registered as at the time the image was taken. Since you are overwriting the existing partition/drive there is nothing on the disk to retain any anti-piracy data only that contained in the image.

I don't know if avast is cleaver enough to recognise the drive is being copied to remove the registration key, I think not. So it is a mystery that an exact image doesn't just restore at the same point in time with the same VPS, program version and registration details.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2007, 05:48:41 PM »
When entered, the license key is encoded with the system volume serial number (to prevent being copied to a different machine).
If the s/n changes, the key information becomes invalid.

So, it seems that your imaging solutions don't restore the volume s/n's...

Cheers
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2007, 06:00:34 PM »
Although I don't know for sure I would have though that it would be essential to retain the same system volume serial number, if not is is most certainly an oversight as I'm sure there applications tied to a system volume serial number.

Makes you wonder when it is supposed to be a recovery tool. But re-entering the serial number is no big deal, I'm used to it. I went through a period when I was thinking of fitting seat belts to my computer chair I was getting so many crashes, troublesome driver (not avast) ;D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2007, 12:54:42 AM »
So, it seems that your imaging solutions don't restore the volume s/n's...
XXCopy does it, I mean, copy the system volume serial number and restore it if you want.
http://www.xxcopy.com/index.htm

al2

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2007, 02:41:07 AM »

The problem is NOT on the image backup tool.

IT IS !!!!! (imo)

I have restored countless Acronis True images recently and Avast acts as if its had never been away(only there is ALWAYS an update heard soon after image's initial boot up - as you would expect), just like the time at which the image was taken.This is the first time i've heard of something like this - THE WHOLE POINT of such a back up/restore image (no hardware changes,corruptions etc) is that of the time saving convenience everything working and like it was from the moment of capture - frozen in time - incredible proccess imo ;D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2007, 04:31:36 AM »
IT IS !!!!! (imo)
Well, Vlk explained... Acronis True Images does not backup the system volume serial number.

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2007, 09:43:14 AM »
IT IS !!!!! (imo)
Well, Vlk explained... Acronis True Images does not backup the system volume serial number.

I hate to say this you are in-corrected I have been a True Images user using verison 9 or 10 it does backup everything and including the avast s/n, I've already replaced my HD a week ago  and re-cloned it back to my HD and have no problem using True Image v9 or 10.

Their been a minor bug problem back in version 7 and 8 that wouldn't backup everything, and that problem been fixed long ago.

When using True Images backup clone always turn off your MS System Restore settings before you start the clone.
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v24.3.6108 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2007, 10:06:33 AM »
When entered, the license key is encoded with the system volume serial number (to prevent being copied to a different machine).
If the s/n changes, the key information becomes invalid.

Does that apply to avast! home versions aswell ?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2007, 02:18:22 PM »
Obviously so, as I'm using the Home version and if I restore an image I have to renter the registration key.

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2007, 02:24:56 PM »
OK thanks David, i thought you guys were on the pro version.  :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2007, 02:49:00 PM »
Not according to my signature ;D  ;D