Author Topic: rescue disk on dvd  (Read 3122 times)

Offline j-p.lamontre

rescue disk on dvd
« on: September 15, 2021, 05:07:50 PM »
Hello Avast Forum,
I am trying to create a rescue disk for my win10 (release 21h1) PC.
the iso file is created at "C:\Users\jean-paul\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Burn\Burn\rescuedisk.iso"
when mounted, it seems correct.
I have burned it (right click on the .iso + burn).
but when I boot on the dvd, windows says "no system disk"

I have opened the .iso with balenaEtcher, it has said : it looks like this is not a bootable image. the image does not appear to contain a partition table, and might not be recognized or bootable by your device.

seems I have omitted something, but what ?

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
Re: rescue disk on dvd
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2021, 05:29:21 PM »
This post should really be here: https://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=6.0

I have managed to create a USB from the .iso in the past using Unetbootin tool.
What is stopping you creating the Rescue USB from the Rescue USB tool instead of DVD tool in Avast UI?

Offline j-p.lamontre

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2021, 03:45:43 PM »
Hello Rocksteady,
I have also try the USB option. the USB device is not recognized as a bootable device, it is just ignored. I have verified the boot order in the bios: USB then DVD then Disk

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2021, 05:53:42 PM »
Just a notice - not a solution to your problem.

I advise you to go into your Forum Profile settings > Modify Profile > Account Settings and change the display name to something other than your email address.  Or you could find it being harvested by spammers.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2021, 06:41:14 PM »
I advise you to go into your Forum Profile settings > Modify Profile > Account Settings and change the display name to something other than your email address.  Or you could find it being harvested by spammers.
I reccommend you follow DavidR's advice asap!

Can you select boot device manually on startup from BIOS boot menu?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 06:43:18 PM by rocksteady »

Offline j-p.lamontre

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2021, 04:08:08 PM »
thank you davidr & rocksteady for the remark about my display name.

yes I can do manual boot.
I have try both options UEFI and older BIOS option to create a bootable USB disk.

Both are not recognized as bootable device.

do you have an idea on what to look at to see if a device is bootable ? (UEFI or BIOS)
the usb disk contains a lot of folders.
is it possible to run something from the USB folders displayed in the windows explorer to verify that AVAST is working ?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2021, 07:27:21 PM »
You're welcome.

I have never actually created a bootable rescue disc, I have used other backup and recovery tools previously.

So I googled it and got - https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=create+a+rescue+disk+for+my+win10 - quite a few hits there.

I wouldn't go too far from the top few.  But there is another one a bit lower down by Easeus - https://www.easeus.com/backup-recovery/create-a-windows-10-recovery-drive-for-another-computer.html - they are one such company to offer backup and recovery software.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline j-p.lamontre

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2021, 10:18:51 AM »
Hi DavidR,
my concern is not creating a windows repair dvd, this one is already on the top on my box, beside the windows install dvd (I'm a few paranoiac with failures).
my concern was having created an AVAST rescue disc, in case I get a dirty thing that cannot be removed with windows running.
Being able to create this dvd or usb at any time from one computer to repair another is a knowledge I was searching.
seems it is not working for now.
I don't know if/where is a place to signal problem or ask for enhancements in avast (perhaps here...).
I will try again in a couple of monthes.

BTW, in my opinion some things are missing in this forum:
- receiving by mail a copy of new reply in my post / posts I am interested (so I am pushed to read / answer quickly)
- searching for my posts (search dialog allows to choose the user name but "search for" is mandatory)
perhaps there options exists in Simple-Machine-Forum ?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2021, 11:51:48 AM »
My reply wasn't specifically about creating a win10 rescue disk, but thinking the same issues might also effect the creation of an Avast Rescue disc.

All I can suggest is checking the dedicated Rescue Disc sub-forum by rocksteady in Reply #1

I don't know if you have changed any settings in your forum profile > Notifications reference ?
But you can also click the Notify button at the top and bottom of each page of a topic.

Also at the Top of every page is:
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.
Also if you go to your Profile Info - you can use Show Posts - listing all of them.

So you can access all of these collectively in a list without having to search.

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2021, 02:17:24 PM »

I have try both options UEFI and older BIOS option to create a bootable USB disk.

Both are not recognized as bootable device.
When you created the Avast Rescuedisk USB, can you confirm it completed fuly to 100%.

The whole idea of the Rescuedisk USB is that it is bootable INSTEAD of normal Windows startup.

From Windows, do a Restart. Immediatly insert the USB.
Before the PC starts, hit [F12] repeatedly to display boot device menu.
Does the boot menu show the USB in the list?

is it possible to run something from the USB folders displayed in the windows explorer to verify that AVAST is working ?
Not that I know of. It is intended as self-contained bootable system.

It may be worth you creating a new thread here: https://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=6.0
where it may attract the attention of the appropriate Avast devs.