Author Topic: Avast won't let me access the internet  (Read 11076 times)

Triibal

Avast won't let me access the internet
« on: September 11, 2007, 11:37:28 PM »
I recently downloaded you free Avast 4.7 home version.  To surf the interent I was forced to deactivate Avast, because when it was active it would not let me access the interent at all.  I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop loaded with Windows Vista.  What can I do to still have the Avast anitvirus active and log on to the interent at the same time?  It downloaded and runs scans with no problem at all, only problem is no internet connection.  Please help out.   - Triibal

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast won't let me access the internet
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 01:05:52 AM »
Which firewall do you use?
Is ashWebSv.exe allowed to connect?
Do you use any proxy application?
The best things in life are free.

mjrehg

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 11:19:50 PM »
I have the same problem, when the On-Access Scanner is on, specifically the Web Shield, I am prevented from almost all Internet sites.  I usually use Firefox , but this is true of IE also.
Also , I have to disable the INTERNET MAIL shield if I want to access my mail through Thunderbird.
I have been unable to find information in Avast's Help section.
I have McAfee Total Protection including a firewall on my computer , but it's about to expire and I have disabled it while trying out Avast.
I have installed Zone Alarms's free firewall and it seems to be working fine.
So if anyone has any suggestions or can point me in the right place to look for instructions, it would be much appreciated. I not a beginner at this , but I am also not into all the real technical stuff.
thanks for any suggestions.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 11:25:14 PM »
I have McAfee Total Protection including a firewall on my computer , but it's about to expire and I have disabled it while trying out Avast.
I have installed Zone Alarms's free firewall and it seems to be working fine.
Probably you have a firewall conflict... disabling is not enough, never was.
Into the firewall settings, the following programs should be allowed to connect:

C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe (avast! Web Scanner)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe (avast! e-Mail Scanner Service)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Setup\avast.setup (avast! Update executable). This is a temporary file that just appears when an update (check) is about to launch, and disappears again afterwards.

Don't need rights to connect:
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe (avast! antivirus service)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe (avast! Update Service)

mjrehg

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2007, 12:30:08 AM »
Thank you for your reply that disabling isn't enuough....
I removed my McAfee Total Protection , and now I am able to access both the Internet and Thunderbird with all the Avast Shields running, so far, seems like all is working great , thanks again.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2007, 01:19:02 AM »
Thank you for your reply that disabling isn't enuough....
I removed my McAfee Total Protection , and now I am able to access both the Internet and Thunderbird with all the Avast Shields running, so far, seems like all is working great , thanks again.

You're welcome. Feel free to come back any time you need help.