Author Topic: "OE removed access of the following unsafe attachments in your mail"  (Read 3907 times)

protrack

Hi,
I'm a bit of a novice and hoping my questions aren't too dumb.. so here goes.
Today I removed the Kodak program software and changed the application associated with .JPG to open with Acrobat. This wasn't working so I ran an upgrade of Adobe.
I initially removed the Kodak program because when a jpg file was received through Microsoft Outlook (XP Professional), I could not open it by double clicking on it ,even though these files should have opened with Kodak.
So once the upgrade was complete I restarted the computer only to find that when I opened Outlook, all previous emails that contained .jpg files had this message "OE removed access of the following unsafe attachments in your mail". Avast has been running for a while now and the files were considered safe when they came though originally. I checked that it wasn't due to the changes made since these emails came through, by getting some new emails containing .jpg files sent to me. These also came through with the above mentioned message.
I run ADSL and the email provider that this relates to is swiftdsl.
Can anyone help?
Thanks,
Penny

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: "OE removed access of the following unsafe attachments in your mail"
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 02:05:36 PM »
Outlook Express had this pathetic supposed security enhancement in a security update some considerable and is based totally on file type and nothing more and you would be surprised at when OE thinks malicious. I can't recall where I found what it considers possibly harmful but it includes zip files which is pathetic as they are inert until you extract the files and then run any extracted file. As you have found it also includes .jpg files as it is possiblt to infect that file type.

You can easily remove that restriction, Tools, Options, Security tab, Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus, see image.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.7.6124 (build 24.7.9311.855) UI 1.0.811/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security