Author Topic: Can't get Avast icon to show in system tray  (Read 2431 times)

cfrankfeldt

Can't get Avast icon to show in system tray
« on: September 24, 2007, 12:16:30 AM »
I have Avast 4.7 home edition on my Windows XP machine.  No matter what I do. I cannot get the icon to show in the system tray.  I check that option of course.  So I suspect I am not really protected.  Any ideas?  Thanks very much.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Can't get Avast icon to show in system tray
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 01:32:56 AM »
You are still protected as the avast icon is only an interface to access other elements and not the protection.

What avast processes are running in Task Manager, they begin with ash or asw ?

avast! icon missing - As a temporary measure until this is resolved you can create a desktop shortcut for this file C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashDisp.exe (the avast icon and interface to the providers).  Right click on the file and select Send To, Desktop (create shortcut). You will need to run this after each boot until the problem is resolved.

What other security based software do you have that might block new startup entries, e.g. Spybot S&D (TeaTimer), AdAware (AdWatch), SpySweeper, Spyware Doctor (StartUpGuard or OnGuard), PrevX, WinPatrol, ProcessGuard, etc. ?

Or Make a link to ashdisp.exe in your startup folder.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

neonmike

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 03:21:47 AM »
I have the same problem as the first person said. I do also have ad aware and spybot installed.
Although the program is working for me I rather have the icon in the tray.
How do I make a link to ashdisp.exe in my startup folder? Thanks.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 03:30:13 AM »
Right click the program ashdisp.exe at avast folder and create a link.
Move the link created to your startup folder (C:\Documents and Settings\ your user \Start Menu\Startup) (hope my translation to English is correct).
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 03:37:52 AM »
I have the same problem as the first person said. I do also have ad aware and spybot installed.
Although the program is working for me I rather have the icon in the tray.

If you have adaware and spybot, that isn't necessarily the issue only if you have the adwatch and teatimer elements.

If you have either of those elements then you should check and ensure that it isn't them killing the avast icon, ashdisp.exe. That way you are treating the disease and not a symptom and it isn't necessary to have to create a shortcut or startup shortcut.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security