Author Topic: Can't Connect to ISP Unless I Stop Avast  (Read 3574 times)

jensie

Can't Connect to ISP Unless I Stop Avast
« on: September 13, 2007, 02:38:53 AM »
I don't think I'm jumping the gun here as I've tried it several times for a week now.
On my dialup 56k modem I've always connected at 45-47.2
With Avast recently installed I can't seem to connect but at 33, 28, 21. 
I stop it and I get on at 40 something again.
Is it because that little world is turning as I'm trying to connect?  Thanks...jen

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Can't Connect to ISP Unless I Stop Avast
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 03:21:31 AM »
Unfortunately avast has no control over your connection speed, I'm also on dial-up and I see no difference at all to what my connection speed is. Some might see a difference in their download speed (high speed broadband perhaps) but that has nothing to do with connection speed.

So I would say there may be some sort of conflict but what that might be that would effect connection speed is beyond me.

The avast 'a' icon (I don't know if that is what you mean) only rotates when it is scanning something but there shouldn't be that much to be scanned in the page that you are connecting and that again shouldn't have any impact on the connection speed. So I don't know how the coincidence is there when you stop avast it connects at a higher speed. You shouldn't have to stop avast completely try terminating the web shield provider and see how that works.

The web shield provider is what scans web pages and that usually has little impact on download (browsing) speed and less on dial-up as it has so much more time to scan content as the download speed is relatively slow.

What is your firewall ?
What Operating System are you using ?
Have (or did) you another AV installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?
What other security based software do you have that might have an impact ?

All of the above however, really shouldn't have any effect on how your modem establishes a connection nor the speed it does it. In the three and a half years I have been on the forums this is the first time I have seen anything like this.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

CharleyO

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 05:03:37 AM »

I am also on dial-up and, like David, can see no difference in connection speed when using avast. In deed, there should be no difference since the connection is made outside of avast. You might want to check with your phone service as their lines/equipment can have an effect on this.

Is your modem a 56k speed?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 08:16:03 PM »
You won't see any speed difference on this line speed; you might notice some slowdown if you had a very fast connection (like a gigabit line) - but not on the slow ones.
I don't think avast! can affect the speed the modem connects with in any way... at least I can't imagine a way it could be  ???

jensie

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2007, 01:47:49 AM »
I am embarrassed.  It was my phoneline.  After a month they finally put in a new one.  Thank you so much for your time.  jen

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2007, 01:52:01 AM »
No need to be embarrassed, it would have been stupid not to ask the question, the answers probably prompted you look at other possibilities.

Anyway thanks for the feedback, just happy that you are sorted now.

A belated welcome to the forums.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

CharleyO

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2007, 06:52:48 AM »

Glad you got it sorted out, jen, and thanks for the feedback!    :)