Author Topic: On Access Scanner, only 3 out of 4 providors running  (Read 2974 times)

ibid

On Access Scanner, only 3 out of 4 providors running
« on: October 03, 2007, 10:06:29 AM »
In my Avast 4, Outlook/Exchange is shown as not running.It says waiting for a sub system to start. I use Mozilla Thunderbird and FirefoxHow do I correct this?
I also use Norton System Works, but I have disabled Norton Antivirus, as I wish to carry on using the other Norton programmes.Will this function OK?   

CharleyO

Re: On Access Scanner, only 3 out of 4 providors running
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 10:33:20 AM »

To just disable Norton AV will not work. You can use the rest of System Works but the AV part must be uninstalled. Else, it will interfer with any other AV program and may be part of the cause of the problem you have now.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007, 03:10:00 PM »
I also use Norton System Works, but I have disabled Norton Antivirus, as I wish to carry on using the other Norton programmes.Will this function OK?
Disable is not enough, specially with Symantec products.

I suggest you:
Uninstall NSW completely through Add/Remove programs from Control Panel.
Boot.
Use Norton Removal Tool for Windows 2000/XP/Vista
Boot
Install avast! and boot
Install NSW WITHOUT Norton Antivirus and boot
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2007, 03:46:52 PM »
In my Avast 4, Outlook/Exchange is shown as not running.It says waiting for a sub system to start. I use Mozilla Thunderbird and FirefoxHow do I correct this?

Easy Terminate the Outlook/Exchange provider which is for MS Outlook not Express and Enable the Internet Mail provider which covers pop3 email clients like Thunderbird.

Why are there only 4 providers (there are 7) ?
Have removed them in the add remove programs, avast! Antivirus, Change (if so you may need to add the Internet Mail provider if you have removed that) ?

What avast providers do you have running ?

Can you please modify your post and remove the 20 plus blank lines of text, it makes the post huge.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ibid

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 10:15:22 AM »
Thanks Tech,
Your help was quick, accurate and effective.
NAV had only allowed about two thirds of Avast to download. Removing it lets me use Avast fully
Incidentally, NAV appears to be a huge resource hog
ibid

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2007, 05:33:18 PM »
Your help was quick, accurate and effective.
Thanks 8)

Removing it lets me use Avast fully
Welcome to avast!

Incidentally, NAV appears to be a huge resource hog
Yeah... we all are ex-NAV users...
The best things in life are free.

CharleyO

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2007, 10:53:42 AM »

Yes, all 3 of us are ex-NAV users, as are many others on this forum, and we are glad your problem was resolved.    :)

Could you please click on the Modify button at the top right of your first post and remove the 30+ blank lines in that post? Once you have removed the extra lines, click on the Save button below the edit box. Thanks!  :)