Author Topic: Problem with Avast causing slow operation of MS Access ODBC to Sage Line50  (Read 5500 times)

steveo57

Hi,
I’ve just installed Avast 4.7 Pro on 3 pcs. All 3 are running XP Pro networked to Win2003 Server. The server is providing Sage Line 50 data – all 3 running MS Access 2003 with ODBC link to Sage. When running the Access query that links to the relevant Sage table the program slows considerably – sometimes taking up to 7-8 minutes to pull back data. This normally happens within 20 seconds or less when I stop the On-access Scanner (or prior to installing Avast)

I’m guessing that Avast is scanning every time this link opens – I’ve tried blocking out the relevant directories, but so far I’ve had no luck. Can anyone help me with an easy way of fixing this please as I can’t seem to find what is causing the problem without switching off the On-access Scanner completely?

Thanks,
Steve. ???

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
I can’t seem to find what is causing the problem without switching off the On-access Scanner completely?
As a workaround, you can add these files to the Standard Shield provider (on-access scanning) exclusion list.
Left click the 'a' blue icon, click on the provider icon at left and then Customize. Go to Advanced tab and click on Add button...

Can you submit the files being scanned for analysis?
The best things in life are free.

steveo57

I'm not sure but submitting the files would involve giving you all of our Sage accounts database table which I'm not too happy about. The problem only occurs when the linked table is first used - after the link is established it seems to be OK. I've tried adding the mapped drive paths to the accounts tables, the directory the Access database is in and also the local path for the MS Access program but still no joy. I'm sure I'm missing something here - but what?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
giving you
Giving them... I'm an user like you 8)

I've tried adding the mapped drive paths to the accounts tables, the directory the Access database is in and also the local path for the MS Access program but still no joy.
The string is read as text, I mean, C:\Program files is different, in this case, from C:\Program~1

Are you using wildcards?

steveo57

Aha! Thanks for that, Tech, I think I'm probably entering the strings in incorrectly.

How do I use wildcards? I've just added C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Microsoft Office
to exclude that directory in the exclusions string box - presumably that's wrong?

Also, what if I want to exclude all contents of a mapped drive (x:\)?

Many thanks for your quick replies
Steve

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
You should use the corresponding mask, i.e. if you want to exclude C:\folder, you have to enter
C:\folder\*
What Tech was trying to say is that the exclusion mask is directly matched against the filename being accessed - so, if the particular program accesses a file using a short filename, then the short filename has to be in the exclusion list (for the file being really excluded); if the program uses a long filename, the long filename has to be in the exclusions.

Yes, you can exclude the whole drive (x:\*). Or, you can open the On-Access Protection console (leftclick on the avast! tray icon), click "Details..." if not already expanded, select the Standard Shield provider and watch the "Last scanned" field when the database is being accessed. You should be able to see what is being scanned (if the path is too long and is truncated in the window, you can use a tooltip) - and what possibly needs to get excluded.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Can you try?
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Microsoft Office\*
X:\*

I'm not sure about the short path to D&S above... it depends on your computer existing folders.

Edited: Igor was faster  8)

steveo57

Fantastic - that's cracked it - many thanks Igor & Tech

Steve

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Fantastic - that's cracked it - many thanks Igor & Tech
Steve
You're welcome. Feel free to come back any time you need help 8)