Author Topic: Er......this really sucks. Help, please?  (Read 68811 times)

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
Re: Er......this really sucks. Help, please?
« Reply #105 on: November 05, 2007, 04:33:16 AM »
Okay, when it rains it pours. Hang on a minute let me check the script.

Did you use erunt for a backup?

mauserme

« Reply #106 on: November 05, 2007, 04:37:44 AM »
Can you give me an idea of how long it might take, please? I'm not impatient at all when it comes to stuff like this but with my PC freezing so much during these things, it's hard to know when it's frozen and when it's still chugging along. I have ran CHKDSK before (though not from the recovery console) and once I left it on overnight (eg. 12+ hours) and when I went back to it the next day, it was still stuck at the same line it had printed when I left it, something about inserting an entry into an index at location something something, or vice versa.
30 to 40 minutes, give or take.  It depends on the size of the data.  For sure not 12 hours.

mauserme

« Reply #107 on: November 05, 2007, 04:41:06 AM »
At this step, I get an error from the Registry Editor:
Cannot import D:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\fix.reg: The specified file is not a registry script. You can only import binary registry files from within the registry editor.
Were you trying to import this from within the regedit interface?

EDIT: 

Cannot import D:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\fix.reg

The reg fix oldman wrote was based on the ComboFix log run on the C: drive.  Because of this it reflects registry entries on that partition so you should run the fix from C: if this is a dual boot set up.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2007, 04:54:20 AM by mauserme »

alex1234

« Reply #108 on: November 05, 2007, 05:06:13 AM »
Did you use erunt for a backup?
Yes.

Were you trying to import this from within the regedit interface?
Uh........sorry I don't know what you mean. All I did was save the file to the desktop on D:, then right-clicked it and selected Merge as instructed. After running Erunt, that is.

The reg fix oldman wrote was based on the ComboFix log run on the C: drive.  Because of this it reflects registry entries on that partition so you should run the fix from C: if this is a dual boot set up.
Hmmm, so what you are saying is that I should save the fix.reg file to my desktop on D: but restart my PC and boot up my copy of XP on C: and then try right-clicking and merging it?

mauserme

« Reply #109 on: November 05, 2007, 05:09:14 AM »
Hmmm, so what you are saying is that I should save the fix.reg file to my desktop on D: but restart my PC and boot up my copy of XP on C: and then try right-clicking and merging it?
Not exactly.

Boot to C:, create the file of the C: deskop, and merge it from there.  Leave D: out of it.

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #110 on: November 05, 2007, 05:47:46 AM »
re: safebootfix log. All I had was another log that the fix was successful on to compare it to. It was pretty much identical except for a reference to DcomLaunch. Different machine, different settings.

I also found this

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\safeboot\Network\ip6fw.sys]
@="Driver"

The info I found on it was that it could be a legitamte file or malware.

could you submit it to virustotal?

D:\windows\system32\\drivers\ip6fw.sys

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #111 on: November 05, 2007, 06:18:56 AM »

It never occurred to me that it would be different since the computer had been booted from D: Another little lesson.

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #112 on: November 05, 2007, 08:03:42 AM »
How are things going?

If the file I asked about is clean, I think you can try safe mode. If it works, you should be able to run SDFix. But do  the other things first. No point jumpimg all over.

alex1234

« Reply #113 on: November 07, 2007, 06:20:06 AM »
Hello,
could you submit it to virustotal?

D:\windows\system32\\drivers\ip6fw.sys
The file was clean, the result was 0%.

Okay, I'll be attempting to boot up XP from C: now......I got no dirty CHKDSK bit to help me there as far as I know so it's rather touch and go as to whether it'll work. ::)

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #114 on: November 07, 2007, 06:23:18 AM »
Ok good luck. Did you try safe mode after the safe mode fix?

alex1234

« Reply #115 on: November 07, 2007, 07:36:56 AM »
Er, if by safe mode fix, you mean running Erunt followed by the thing with the fix.reg file, no....because I just spent the last hour trying to boot from C: (and failing) and so I couldn't do this:

And then when that didn't work I had an absolute whale of a time ::) trying to boot from D: in normal mode so I could come back on here, guess I should have given SafeMode a try again but then considering how I couldn't do the fix in the first place...

However, I did manage to get the blue screen of death 4 times in the process! So I'm happy to report the following errors:
the first time I got this one:
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Stop 0x0000000A (0x00000F18, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x805B9BFE)

and then the next 3 times it was similar:
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Stop 0x0000000A (0x00000F18, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x805B7166)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 07:54:06 AM by alex1234 »

alex1234

« Reply #116 on: November 07, 2007, 07:46:34 AM »
Also, I have another idea which I forgot to post. I saved a copy of the fix.reg file to my other desktop on C: by saving it to the Desktop folder-thingamajigger on that partition. Is it safe to try right-clicking that particular copy from within Windows Explorer and selecting Merge from there (ie, while running XP from D: like I usually do)?

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #117 on: November 07, 2007, 07:50:22 AM »
Okay, we'll research those error codes.

I meant did you try safe mode after running the safemode fix. You posted the log and I compared it to one that the fix worked on. We can leave the regfix for now. If you do get into safe mode, try the program mauserme wanted you to run. You should copy/print the instruction as you will be without internet.

Luck. I'll post anything I can find on the codes.

Also, I have another idea which I forgot to post. I saved a copy of the fix.reg file to my other desktop on C: by saving it to the Desktop folder-thingamajigger on that partition. Is it safe to try right-clicking that particular copy from within Windows Explorer and selecting Merge from there (ie, while running XP from D: like I usually do)?

I'd best let mauserme comment on that.

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #118 on: November 07, 2007, 08:16:31 AM »
alex, I found a couple of things for you to read. you don't have to try them, as you know best how close the problem is to yours. It may just be a matter of unplugging a printer.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=244617&sd=RMVP

http://aumha.org/a/stop.htm

Let us know wat you think the problem is. There people here that may be able to help identify the problem.

alex1234

« Reply #119 on: November 08, 2007, 10:28:01 PM »
Thanks very much, that second link looks especially helpful. It will take me some time to paw through it.