Author Topic: Wintest.exe is doing something strange  (Read 4121 times)

Forhan

Wintest.exe is doing something strange
« on: October 20, 2007, 09:26:15 AM »
Dear all,

yesterday i noticed that all my hard drives had autorun option in right click menu. i found this script in autorun.inf file

[Autorun]
open=wintest.exe
shellexecute=wintest.exe
shell\auto\command=wintest.exe
shell=Auto

I did copy some data from my PC to my laptop and same happened there. Tried to delete these autorun files but they come back. could'nt find any wintest.exe file in my system..
Please tell me wheather Avast 4.7 can fix it.
please help

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Wintest.exe is doing something strange
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2007, 12:44:20 PM »
If a virus is replicant (coming and coming again), you could follow the general cleaning procedure:

1. Disable System Restore on Windows ME or Windows XP. System Restore cannot be disabled on Windows 9x and it's not available in Windows 2k. After boot you can enable System Restore again after step 3.

2. Clean your temporary files. You can use CleanUp or the Windows Advanced Care features for that.

3. Schedule a boot time scanning with avast. Start avast! > Right click the skin > Schedule a boot-time scanning. Select for scanning archives. Boot. Other option is scanning in SafeMode (repeatedly press F8 while booting).

4. This is very important: download, install, update and run AVG Antispyware. Some users recommend SUPERantispyware, Spyware Terminator and/or a-squared (take care about false positives).
If any infection is detected, better and safer is send the file to Quarantine than to simple delete than.

5. If you still detecting any strange behavior or even you're sure you're not clean, maybe it will be good to test your machine with anti-rootkit applications. I suggest AVG or Panda.

6. Also, if you still detecting strange behaviors or you want to be sure you're clean, maybe making a HijackThis log to post here and, specially, scan and submit to on-line analysis the RunScanner log would help to identify the problem and the solution.
The best things in life are free.

Offline Maxx_original

• Super Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2007, 03:35:27 PM »
send wintest.exe in password protected archive to virus[at]avast[dot]com.. it's probably a variant of autorun virus, which is quite popular now...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2007, 04:58:34 PM »
<snip>
could'nt find any wintest.exe file in my system..

It is possibly that it is set as a system file in its file attributes so it will be hidden.

Ensure that you show hidden files and folders and also system files in Windows Explorer, Tools, Folder Options, View.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security