Author Topic: PCs on LAN not receiving autoupdates / "virus database has been updated"  (Read 2969 times)

baggles

I've been using Avast! for months now and have been so impressed with it that it is now installed on the 3 PCs hardwire connected to my LAN and the two PCs connected wirelessly to that LAN. 4 of the PCs are running WinXP Home and one is running Win XP Pro. All have Comodo Firewall and Comodo BOClean AntiMalware installed. Windows firewall is off. Authentication is off.
All PCs were receiving Avast! autoupdates and the voice notification of "virus database has been updated" was somewhat cute and comforting. Additionally, program update notices were always received on all PCs too.

Lately, ie; for some weeks now, none of the PCs are receiving auto AV updates or notification of program updates. Manual AV updates work as do Manual program updates. I've tried re-entering the registration license key. I've checked that Avast! is permitted access to the Net in the Comodo firewall. I've uninstalled and reinstalled Avast! without resolution.  I've read through this forum and cannot find a resolution. I've checked the Router's settings and cannot find any setting that would seem to prevent autoupdates.

All machines have sufficient memory and resources to run the OS plus all the normal SOHO applications.

Any informed advice on possible solutions would be appreciated. ???

baggles ;D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: PCs on LAN not receiving autoupdates / "virus database has been updated"
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 01:26:39 PM »
If manual update works, it's not a problem with the firewall or the registration key.
Does the autoupdate fail just after booting/loggin or at any time, i.e., you don't receive autoupdates in any time of the day?
The best things in life are free.

baggles

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007, 03:12:27 PM »
Thanks for the quick response. Much appreciated.

Autoupdates don't appear to be received at anytime. Normally I would see & hear the update message once a day on boot-up but now not at all on any of the PCs.

Although I did double-check after posting here, could it be the BOClean anti-malware? I'll uninstall this from one of the PCs to find out.

;D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007, 03:23:54 PM »
Could it be the BOClean anti-malware?
I don't think so.

To delay the update of avast into a permanent internet connection (DSL) you can change the value AlwaysConnectedWaitSeconds into avast4.ini file. Details on 'Settings' in my signature.

Alanrf's experience: This is especially true during Windows update week.  Windows automatic updates seem to hog resources even to just determine that updates do exist but you are just not allowed to download them yet (to prevent overload of Microsoft's servers).  So this is happening at every startup during the Windows update period until you have been permitted to download the updates.  Although I do not have "smoking gun" logs to prove it (a bit hard to get on an overloaded system at startup) I am reasonably certain that the Windows automatic update process, at this time, can prevent the avast automatic VPS update from getting timely access to it servers and causing avast to report an automatic update error - especially on older, less powerful systems.    This past week was Windows update week, some folks this week waited 4 or 5 days before being permitted to download the Windows updates through the automatic update process.

baggles

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2007, 02:14:13 AM »
 :) ;) ;)

That sorted it out.
I added the AlwaysConnectedWaitSeconds=60 line to the avast4.ini file immediately after the AlwaysConnected=0 (the value of which I changed to '1'), saved the file and an auto update occurred a few minutes later (inclusive of friendly, reassuring audio).

VMT the kind assist 'Tech' man.

cheers n beers,

baggles
 ;D ;D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2007, 11:25:33 PM »
VMT the kind assist 'Tech' man.
From time to time is good to feel useful in this forum...