Author Topic: Webshield Issue with ActiveX Control  (Read 4835 times)

Skispcs

Webshield Issue with ActiveX Control
« on: October 26, 2007, 01:19:41 AM »
Using Avast Home version 4.7.1043 on Vista32 Ultimate.

I am trying to use IE7 to run an ActiveX Control on an Internal Web server on a LAN.
With WebShield Enabled I cannot access the server, paused I still cannot access the server,
but when Webshield is stopped I can access the ActiveX Control.

The ActiveX plugin is the WebCamX Control by Avermedia.

There is a demo of the Remote client here http://remote.aver.com/
but I am not sure that it is 100% the same as the one that comes with the production version.

I also tried adding the internal site to the webshield exclusion list but it still had the same problem.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Webshield Issue with ActiveX Control
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007, 01:46:43 AM »
avast shouldn't have any issue with an activeX control unless it were linked to an infected file. So this is likely to be some sort of clash but what is the question.

I recall something like this with a web cam, I don't know if it was WebCamX, but I believe it had something to do with it operating in a virtual environment.

I couldn't access the URL you gave (with web shield enabled), Connection to the server was reset while the page was loading. Even with web shield terminated (not just paused) I get an error that firefox can't establish a connection to the server at remote.aver.com.

I tried with avant browser and same problem, can't connect. So I don't know what is going on at that location.

What is your firewall ?
How do you connect the remote web cam (?), do you have to log on and then connect to an https page ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.7.6124 (build 24.7.9311.855) UI 1.0.811/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Skispcs

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2007, 03:13:41 AM »
Hi DavidR, thank you for the reply.

The pc with the cameras is running a web server. When I connect to that IP address on Port 80 via IE7, it loads the activex which streams the video over the TCP connection using HTTP. I did a packet capture and did not see anything out of the ordinary.  Only a GET /../Cryption/crypt_en.bin HTTP/1.1\r\n everything else was HTTP packets.

Neither the server nor the client are running in Virtual Machines.

I am running Windows Vista Firewall on the client but this server and the client are on my Local LAN, not on the Internet so I have exceptions in the firewall for the local ip addresses.

That address I gave you is not working for me either at the moment, but it was all I could give you to troubleshoot with as the actual server I am having the issue with is on my local network. I don't know if the ActiveX will work with Firefox even with the IE page view and I have no idea about Avant browser.

As far as logging in, once the activeX control is loaded and connected a login box pops up but I never get that far with Webshield enabled. With webshield enabled I get a blank page and IE locks up. I have to Ctrl Alt Delete and end the process to get the window to close.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2007, 03:51:11 AM »
I'm sorry I don't know enough in the web camera side but as far as I'm aware some streaming methods don't conform completely to HTTP standards. I'm not sure that this is the case here as you say it uses HTTP, but reading the URL a little further would lead me to think the stream is encrypted.

That may also be where web shield falls down as it is expecting unencrypted traffic as it can't scan encrypted traffic and also where I would say it isn't true HTTP traffic as it is encrypted which should really be HTTPS, which the web shield doesn't monitor because it can't decrypt it.

This might be what the web shield is having a problem with as it is expecting http protocol traffic that isn't encrypted.

You have used the Exceptions, which clearly doesn't seem to work, there is another option, Ignored addresses (Web Shield, Customise, Basic, here you can add the IP address not a domain name as you would in the exceptions. This was I believed mentioned by one of the Alwil team in another topic relating to streaming.

Give that a try and see if it works, that is me for the night, almost 3 a.m. here and my bed is calling, good night.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.7.6124 (build 24.7.9311.855) UI 1.0.811/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Skispcs

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2007, 04:36:32 AM »
I turned logging all the way to debug and could find no entries after the problem occurred. I then went to webshield => customized => advanced and turned on show detailed information which pops ups the box showing the scanned items I presume. When attempting to connect to the offending server nothing would show up. Whatever that might mean I do not know. Then I removed the exclusion which did not work and add the ignore like you stated in your last post and it seems to work now.

Thank you for your help.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2007, 02:53:54 PM »
No problem, glad I could help.

The fact that there were no 'show detailed actions' shown is probably because of what I previously mentioned if it can't scan the content I don't know if it would report what it is 'trying' to scan.

Smart

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 04:28:40 PM »
i have IP cam and it needs active X i already installed it... problem found when i enable the web scanning on avast protection i see a blank picture and when i disable it i see it clearly i set the site on the trusted sites on IE 7 .. and still have the problem..

anyone got an idea ?
Thank You!!