Author Topic: installation linux/ubuntu/debian/enlightment/ on everex/walmart/zareason no icon  (Read 6981 times)

walt

gOS avast! 4 home. Failed installation: need help. Have registration key. Have followed instructions and rebooted. No system tray, no blue globe icon. Please advise.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Please visit http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-for-linux-edition.html page for the .deb package.
After installing run /usr/lib/avast4workstation/share/avast/desktop/install-desktop-entries.sh script to install icons at your desktop.
The best things in life are free.

walt

Thanks, Tech. You pointed me in right direction. Running the script you listed did not create a desktop icon. However, I used Thunar to work down the tree to the directory you listed, which has just three files. Right-click on 'avast! Antivirus' allowed me to Send to->Desktop (Create Link), which does put an icon on desktop, which in turn executes avast.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Running the script you listed did not create a desktop icon.
These commands should install avast!'s icons&links into the Applications > Accessories > avast! Antivirus menu.

cd /usr/lib/avast4workstation/share/avast/desktop && sudo ./install-desktop-entries.sh install
The best things in life are free.

walt

Thanks again, Tech. I now have working avast! icon on the Applications->Accessories menu.

However, a caveat for gOS users:
gOS 'Run' command line is useless - I never saw sudo's request for password.
In general 'Run' closes after execution with no feedback; for example, 'ls' gives no visible list.
I did above installation using menus Applications->System Tools->UXterm, but that application 1)can't be pasted into 2)has tiny font. Instead use Konsole from that same menu. (I'm not sure how it got there – you may have to use Synaptic to download and then Run the first time.)
For each of Tech's commands in order, you can select and copy from Tech's post and paste into and return in Konsole.