Author Topic: I'm new with avast home....... plzzz help  (Read 7138 times)

bluebutterfly

I'm new with avast home....... plzzz help
« on: November 03, 2007, 06:31:07 PM »
I just downloaded avast last night. I can't figure it out.How do you get it to scan you pc? Other that the memory and startup. I'm confused about the VRDB and how to work it and how to st it and basically what it does. look I have a yahoo messanger the name to add to it to help me it threefuzzcats77 and I have an MSN messanger and the name to add to it to help me is bluesky77363830. If you can do that plzz do. I just need help with this.   ??? ??? ???

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: I'm new with avast home....... plzzz help
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 07:24:45 PM »
Hi thre can you state exactly what you want to do and I will talk you through it

bluebutterfly

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2007, 07:35:00 PM »
Thank you for your help essexboy. I can't figure out how to get it to scan my computer for one. and then the rest of it is so confusing on how it works that I can't figure it out.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2007, 07:40:03 PM »
Right click the avast 'a' icon, select Start avast! Antivirus, that opens up a memory check and once complete it should present the Simple User Interface a little like a media player (you can change skins).

From here you can scan all Local Disks, Folder selection (for a scan of a specific folder, etc.) or Removable Media. You can set the sensitivity of a scan and if archives are scanned or not.

Quote from: Extract of avast help file
VRDB stands for "Virus Recovery Database"; it was known as "Integrity Database" in previous avast! versions. The aim of VRDB is to help when, despite all the security measures, a virus gets inside the computer and the files are infected. With the help of VRDB, it is possible to repair many infected files (return them exactly to their original state). VRDB is announced by an icon with the letter "i" in the system tray (next to the clock). If the icon is animated, the database is being created right now.

For more information check the avast help file, Healing, VRDB. Windows Start, All Programs, avast! Antivirus, Help. Or if you are in the Simple User Interface, either press F1 or right click on the skin and select Help.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

bluebutterfly

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2007, 07:47:12 PM »
[color=purpleThank you David for your help also. I've gotten to that little player looing thing and done all the changes that I wanted to do but I can't get that to scan. what button do I push to get it to scan?  :-\][/color]

bluebutterfly

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2007, 08:00:34 PM »
Thank yall for you help. I got to looking around on my avast and some how I got it to scan. Its in the process nowbut I'm sit a little confused about the Little ball with the I on it and what it does and how it works.  :)

Spiritsongs

Avast "i" ball
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2007, 08:35:41 PM »
 :)  Hi :

The "i" ball is the VRDB portion of Avast. It is wise to "generate" it by
      clicking the "Generate VRDB Now !" Setting and after it finishes, select
      either the "Generate VRDB when computer is idle" or "Generate VRDB only
      when screen-saver is running" Option . After this is done, should consider
      using the "Merge" Setting, so that there will ONLY be 1 Avast Icon in
      your System Tray.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2007, 08:39:25 PM »
Thank you David for your help also. I've gotten to that little player looing thing and done all the changes that I wanted to do but I can't get that to scan. what button do I push to get it to scan?  :-\

No problem, welcome to the forums.

Now you have it running a little browse of the avast help file would be a benefit to help you get the best out of avast.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

bluebutterfly

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2007, 09:08:04 PM »
wheres the help file at?

bluebutterfly

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2007, 09:12:48 PM »
I have also noticed that every since I downloded avast my yahoo mail alert hasnt been showing up how do I fix that?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2007, 10:50:44 PM »
wheres the help file at?

Where I said it was in my previous post.

<snip>
For more information check the avast help file, Healing, VRDB. Windows Start, All Programs, avast! Antivirus, Help. Or if you are in the Simple User Interface, either press F1 or right click on the skin and select Help.

Or you could access it directly or create a shortcut for it C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ENGLISH\HELP\help.chm

bluebutterfly

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2007, 12:13:09 AM »
ok but what do I do about my yahoo mail alert not showing up?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2007, 12:42:44 AM »
I don't use Yahoo so I'm not familiar with how it functions, but avast shouldn't block, but scan and alert to any infected content/file.

How do you receive the yahoo mail alert ?
Is your yahoo mail web based (viewed on your browser) or do you download it using an email program ?
If you are using an email program to download it what is the email program ?

What is your firewall ?

bluebutterfly

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2007, 04:19:35 AM »
the mail alert is supposed to be automatic it came with my yahoo messanger and my mail is web based ( i have a button on my browser to get to it. And my firewal is a windows firewall it came with my pc.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2007, 01:39:47 PM »
My concern on the how does it work, if it uses the email ports 110 to check for the presence of email then the Internet Mail provider (doesn't cover web based email, confusing I know) will scan the content and if it isn't using the pop3 protocol then the Internet Mail provider won't be able to scan it.

What you are describing doesn't seem like a notifier in the classic sense of notify, e.g. a pop-up 'you've got mail' style notification, but clicking on a button to fetch your email, which I would have thought you would do after notification.

Get Instant Yahoo! Mail Alerts of New Messages
Another, much more comfortable way is Yahoo! Messenger. Yahoo! Messenger can be configured to pop up a dialog box and play a sound whenever a new email message arrives in your Yahoo! Mail account.

This I assume is what you are on about, in which case avast should have no interaction with this pop-up.

Yahoo - Why doesn't the new mail alert show up when I get new Yahoo! Mail?

I biggest thing in the troubleshooting is making sure you are logged in to Yahoo or you can't be notified.

As I said I have never used this function so I can't be of much practical help.