Author Topic: Virus is Back  (Read 1828 times)

Desperate-Dan

Virus is Back
« on: November 05, 2007, 09:33:37 PM »
the virus I got rid of is back only this time I've had a few more, something keeps turning the Automatic updates off and my firewall, I keep moving the viruses  to the chest but I restart the computer its there again I've done a boot scan but no matter what I do the Bastards are there again, I've sent Avast a hijackthis log file I'm just waiting to see what they say, I've had Avast about 4 years never had problem before, should I do reinstall of windows surerly that would put it right?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Virus is Back
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 09:54:19 PM »
I suggest:

1. Disable System Restore and reenable it after step 3.
2. Clean your temporary files.
3. Schedule a boot time scanning with avast with archive scanning turned on.
4. Use AVG Antispyware; SUPERantispyware and/or Spyware Terminator to scan for spywares and trojans. If any infection is detected, better and safer is send the file to Quarantine than to simple delete than.
5. Test your machine with anti-rootkit applications. I suggest AVG or Trend Micro RootkitBuster.
6. Make a HijackThis log to post here or, better, submit the RunScanner log to to on-line analysis.
7. Immunize your system with SpywareBlaster or Windows Advanced Care.
8. Check if you have insecure applications with Secunia Software Inspector.
The best things in life are free.

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 09:56:45 PM »
Update all the scanners you have, disconnect from the internet- pull the plug- and scan with everything.

When you've finished, check your firewall is up and go through the online scans again.

(If the malware is still bringing down your firewall after running all the scans, post your HijackThis! log in the virus section and somebody may be able to help.)

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=31303.msg260132#msg260132
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 10:23:08 PM »
Good advice given here. If I may add one more piece. If you choose to use superantispyware in step 4...

First update SAS Then

Under Configuration and Preferences, click the Preferences button.
Then click the Scanning Control tab.

Under Scanner Options make sure the following are checked
- Close browsers before scanning
- Scan for tracking cookies
- Terminate memory threats before quaranine.

leave the others unchecked.

Return to the main page by clicking close on that screen. On the main screen, under Scan for Harmful Software click Scan your computer. On the left check C:\Fixed Drive.(and other fixed drives)
Under Complete Scan, choose Perform Complete Scan.
ยท Click Next to start the scan.

When the scan is done, quarentine everthing found . Reboot if asked. You can post the log in your next reply if you wish.