Author Topic: avast stopping internet access  (Read 6992 times)

yuriythebest

avast stopping internet access
« on: November 07, 2007, 10:16:41 PM »
I just got avast 4.7 pro.  When I install it my internet access dissappears and won't reappear even after I've stopped all of the avast services. I've gone through all of the settings but there is nothing there that remotely looks like an application allow/block list or anything about trusted/blocked networks. The only way that I managed to get it back is to uninstall avast- which is tricky in itself since there is no way to "exit" avast and the only way the uninstall dialog would appear was by stopping the avast proccess using ctrl+alt+del. So how do I gain the ability to use avast AND the internet at the same time?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: avast stopping internet access
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 10:38:13 PM »
Firstly avast doesn't block but scans content and alerts if infection found, that would be the only way it would block but only for a specific page/file.

What is your OS ?
What is your firewall ?
Does it allow ashWebSv.exe internet access ?
- If it does delete the entry for it and reconnect to the internet, this will force the firewall to ask permission again.

Terminating the Web Shield provider is all that would be required as none of the other providers have any impact.

Have (or did) you another AV installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

yuriythebest

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 11:48:27 PM »
cool I'll attempt to answer:

What is your OS ?
  ans: winxp sp2 x32

What is your firewall ?
  ans: outpost security suite

Does it allow ashWebSv.exe internet access ?
  ans:yes, I've added ashWebServ and everything else that looks like it may be related to avast into the trusted group

Have (or did) you another AV installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?
   ans: there were previous antiviruses but all are properly deleted using add/remove programs in the control panel. The only     antivirus-like-thingy is the spyware remover that is part of the outpost security suite currently installed. 

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 12:21:24 AM »
1. if you are still blocked, delete the entries for the ashWebSv.exe, Web Shield in Outpost as I suggested and force it to ask again.
I have had this Outpost before that even though ashWebSv.exe was in my trusted applications it was still blocked.

2. The reason I asked for the names of those previous AVs is some are notorious for leaving stuff behind even after an uninstall ?

Personally I think the OP anti-spyware plug-in is poor (there are better) and I have had it disabled from the tests I did it is very noisy on boot opening lots of files for checking, this forces avast to first lock the file and scan it before handing back control and allowing OP-as to scan. This really hits boot durations.

However, I thought the OP Security Suite 2008 has a full blown AV, see image. It also scans email attachments I don't know if that will impact with the avast ashMaiSv.exe, I also don't know if the anti-spam might use a localhost proxy to check email and that too could impact the avast Internet Mail provider or at least cause double scanning of emails by avast.

This is the reason I won't be getting OP Security Suite, but keep the OP Firewall Pro and after a period of time I will upgrade to OP Firewall Pro 2008, I will leave it up to other guinea pigs to find any glitch/bugs, etc.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

yuriythebest

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 03:16:04 PM »
the difference of OP security suite is that unlike the OP firewall it doesn't really ask anything even when in learning mode. I tried deleting the files you mentioned and adding them to "trusted" manually but that didn't help.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007, 03:33:58 PM »
Then my fears on a conflict between the additional protection of the suite (image above) clashing with a resident antivirus seems to be what is causing a clash.

I don't know enough about the new suite other than the general info in the agnitum newsletter as to how it performs the functions to say for sure that this is a clash, but it most certainly isn't avast that is blocking internet access as it simply doesn't have that functionality.

This is the very reason why I won't get the OP security suite as it is likely to clash with existing resident anti-virus, this fear had been mentioned on the outpost forums prior to OP SS release and the general feeling was you can always disable the OP plug-ig if you want to retain your existing AV.

yuriythebest

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2007, 07:52:17 PM »
even after turning off OP's anti spyware thingy I still wouldn't get internet access.

would uninstalling avast & outpost, then installing avast first and outpost second possibly solve my issue?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 07:57:14 PM by yuriythebest »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2007, 08:41:31 PM »
It is an option and OP when you install it might well mention a conflict as for on it incorrectly believes avast has a firewall.

I think though it is something more fundamental than that leaving out the OP anti-spyware/malware when you install OP do a custom install. However that kind of makes a bit of a mockery in having a suite and a major reason why I won't have one installed on my system.

I would much rather be in control of what security is on my system and choose elements that best suit my needs and not a choice that suits Agnitum. I choose OP Firewall Pro as I had it from the free version and I like it. I can choose any anti-virus or anti-spyware that meets my needs and if anyone ceases to be effective I can change it the same isn't true of a suite as installing another security device might well conflict with the suite.

yuriythebest

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2007, 10:57:19 PM »
finally found a solution that works- about the same as yours-Avast 4.7 pro/ Outpost Pro 4.0
I tried using outpost firewall 2008 but unlike the 4.0 version that one specifically wants me to disable avast during installation, while avast 4.0 is fine with just being set to ignore it. The main thing I learned was to install the antivirus FIRST and the firewall second.  thanks for all your help DavidR!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2007, 11:40:34 PM »
That is the point I raised earlier it is detecting a file it thinks is a firewall and it isn't not only that it also gives it a name that doesn't exist in the avast Shields (providers). however you should be able to decline the offer on OP Firewall Pro 2008, as someone else in the forums has done so. I believe it isn't just asking to disable during installation but permanently to avoid conflict as it thinks it is a firewall.

I certainly think you are wise to stick with outpost pro 4.0 certainly for a little time. New versions almost always suffer some hiccups/glitches/bugs and these new versions if the PR is to be believed has been built from the ground up.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2007, 01:19:59 AM »
The main thing I learned was to install the antivirus FIRST and the firewall second.
Indeed, it's true  :)
The best things in life are free.

yuriythebest

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2007, 12:25:08 PM »
I believe it isn't just asking to disable during installation but permanently to avoid conflict as it thinks it is a firewall.

yes, it says to uninstall/disable avast :)  though that's OP 2008- didn't try the suite

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2007, 04:21:08 PM »
I would have though the 2008 suite would have been the same.