Author Topic: The worst virus i have ever had  (Read 29488 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: The worst virus i have ever had
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2007, 01:40:45 AM »
I think I am cured finally.
So, now, immunize your system with SpywareBlaster or Windows Advanced Care.

Also, check if you have insecure applications with Secunia Software Inspector.

Oh, don't start/run files that you don't know the origin, surf safely 8)
The best things in life are free.

eru

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2007, 01:51:58 AM »
Thanks you all rock  ;)
Now, a last question. Must I have both a router firewall and a software firewall (since I am using a router) to be safe ?
Right now I am using only my router's firewall.
If yes, can you recommend a good free firewall , except that of Windows (which I think is not the best,but if you tell me it is then ok)

sanctuary24

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2007, 02:13:49 AM »
If its for Windows Xp 32 bit I think Comodo Firewall Pro is ok, but you may want to check your system against the specifications on its website

www.comodo.com

its free like you asked

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2007, 03:02:47 AM »
Oh btw what did you mean when u said a firewall of a router is not enough to prevent unauthorized access to my PC? If I had a software firewall and a router firewall then things would be difficult for my web right?

Short answer it provides zero outbound protection.

Any malware that manages to get past your defences will have free reign to connect to the internet to either download more of the same, pass your personal data (sensitive or otherwise, user names, passwords, keylogger retrieved data, etc.) send out spam emails or open a backdoor to your computer, so outbound protection is essential.

The software firewall shouldn't impact your router/firewall.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2007, 03:05:58 AM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2007, 03:42:53 AM »
Check my sig below for links to the browser, real-time anti-spyware & firewall I recommend. :)

Set scheduled scan in Spyware Terminator to "never", it can be annoying.  I recommend on-demand anti-spyware scans with SuperAntiSpyware.

Opera can help protect your system from malware while surfing the web.

WinPatrol is highly recommended.

All are available for free. ;D
« Last Edit: November 11, 2007, 03:18:43 PM by rdmaloyjr »

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2007, 10:14:27 AM »
Which online scanner picked up the malware, by the way?

I use Zone Alarm Free on Windows: it's still the easiest to understand of all the firewalls I've tried.
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2007, 01:20:13 PM »
can you recommend a good free firewall
For Windows XP, Comodo for sure.
Despite ZA is a very simple (easy to understand) firewall, I think it has much *issues* and problems. Also that much bells and whistles like a bloatware suite...

eru

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2007, 02:47:24 PM »
I installed comodo and everythings fine

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2007, 02:58:40 PM »
I installed comodo and everythings fine
Good. Enjoy. Comodo has a free forum if you need help.
Here there are some users that can help you too.

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2007, 03:22:08 PM »
Despite ZA is a very simple (easy to understand) firewall, I think it has much *issues* and problems. Also that much bells and whistles like a bloatware suite...

I think that statement crosses the border into FUD territory.

For many users, ZA has no issues, or problems, is stable and works well, including me at the moment.

I have had issues with ZA in the past, but I have had with Kerio/Sunbelt and Comodo too: no software is perfect.

I honestly don't know what you mean by bells and whistles: ZA Free has no unnecessary features.

Bloatware? ZA free includes the option to install the pay version. There is a very clear option to decline. ZA is a commercial company and they want to sell you one of their products: that's their right.

They also make available a free firewall which has been one of the most respected products in the area for years.

Let's try and give some unbiased advice to people rather than the latest fashion, please.
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2007, 03:38:22 PM »
I think that statement crosses the border into FUD territory.
Not FUD. Bad personal experience, just this.

For many users, ZA has no issues, or problems, is stable and works well, including me at the moment.
I do not doubt about this. Just for me, it is not good: bloatware (antivirus, etc.), no network configuration available (ports & applications), no parental application control.

I honestly don't know what you mean by bells and whistles: ZA Free has no unnecessary features.
They 'ask' for the paid version, i.e., a lot of disable features announced in the free interface.

They also make available a free firewall which has been one of the most respected products in the area for years.
Ok. I think they've lost this 'good press' lately.

Let's try and give some unbiased advice to people rather than the latest fashion, please.
I try. It's my bad personal experience.
Besides all of this, Comodo does not work in my Vista and ZA does (with delays, but it works).

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2007, 04:11:36 PM »
Zone Alarm free for the most part works fine with avast and has a reasonably friendly user interface, however, the free version is also crippled as far as outbound protection goes In the Program Control, configuration area, the slider will only goes as far as Medium protection, if you want more you have to buy the Pro version.

That factor lessens the outbound protection greatly, whilst that limited protection is better than XP's firewall it doesn't match the protection available in other free firewall solutions. You need only take a look at http://www.matousec.com/projects/windows-personal-firewall-analysis/leak-tests-results.php, to see the difference between the free and pro versions of ZA. However, I have no problem with ZA trying to promote the paid for option in this way, the programmers have to eat and ZoneLabs has to survive. But, when you compare the free and even the pro version against a number of other free firewalls you see how much the free version is lacking.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2007, 04:58:52 PM »
Excellent advice for anyone recommending Comodo!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2007, 05:45:25 PM »
Why?

But, when you compare the free and even the pro version against a number of other free firewalls you see how much the free version is lacking.
Precisely. The free version of ZA loses when compared to other free firewall, in my opinion.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2007, 06:26:13 PM »

You should then follow your excellent advice and apply it to any negative comment on another firewall and back-up the comment, which I guess it not for recommending Comodo.

But, when you compare the free and even the pro version against a number of other free firewalls you see how much the free version is lacking.
Precisely. The free version of ZA loses when compared to other free firewall, in my opinion.

ZA Pro is also beaten by some of the free firewalls too.