Author Topic: New virus - HD for windows is aparently without any data  (Read 4362 times)

mysterious

New virus - HD for windows is aparently without any data
« on: November 12, 2007, 01:28:36 PM »
Helo,

First sory for my english, on my pc and acording to informations that i have colected i have been attacked for a new virus.
This virus mark or change the formatof the files in HD and windows see this drive of Hd that have been attacked has clean, without any data but in the realy the data his there in HD. Aparently the data has been deleted but in realy the data has not been deleted because if i use a softewareto recover lost data the software don't find anything.

Anyone knows about this new virus? Anyone already have a solution?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: New virus - HD for windows is aparently without any data
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 01:34:28 PM »
Just trying to understand. Your HDD was clean, you use avast, suddenly, you cannot even boot? Which files are being deleted (or hidden) from you computer?
Do you have any other security program installed?
Can you boot in Safe Mode (pressing F8 while booting)?
The best things in life are free.

mysterious

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 02:43:19 PM »
Just trying to understand. Your HDD was clean, you use avast, suddenly, you cannot even boot? Which files are being deleted (or hidden) from you computer?
Do you have any other security program installed?
Can you boot in Safe Mode (pressing F8 while booting)?

My HDD it's of 160gb and I have this HDD in 3 parts, the first one it's for instal windows and programs and the oder two it's for data (movies, music, documents, pictures, etc). the two parts were i have the data it's aparently clean but the first one have almost everithyng but i can't boot the pc even in safe mode because some files of windows are damge or missing. I use only the avast. Now i have instaled oder HDD in pc with windows vista for i see what apens with my HDD and i can see what i have descrived here.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 03:38:03 PM »
Now i have instaled oder HDD in pc with windows vista for i see what apens with my HDD and i can see what i have descrived here.
With this new partition, maybe you can:

1. Disable System Restore (in all partitions) and reenable it after step 3.
2. Clean your temporary files.
3. Schedule a boot time scanning with avast with archive scanning turned on.
4. Use AVG Antispyware; SUPERantispyware and/or Spyware Terminator to scan for spywares and trojans. If any infection is detected, better and safer is send the file to Quarantine than to simple delete than.
5. Test your machine with anti-rootkit applications. I suggest AVG or Trend Micro RootkitBuster.
6. Run a full computer on-line scanning:
Kaspersky (very good detection rates)
ESET NOD32
Trendmicro housecall
AVGas (does not necessary if you have AVG antispyware installed)
F-Secure
BitDefender (free removal of the malware)
HitmanPro (multiply scanners)

Offline Dwarden

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Ideas, that's ocean without borders!
    • Bohemia Interactive
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 09:16:08 PM »
i already encoutered one such person too ... his HDD was completely unreable (sadly i wasn't the person who 'resolved' the issue)

according to tech who checked it it was like 'something' erased the drive in 'secure' mode (e.g. with some hash overwriting the data)

all gone

Avast! was on system in moment but unknown if up2date ...
https://twitter.com/FoltynD , Tech. Community, Online Services & Distribution manager of Bohemia Interactive

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2007, 09:22:26 PM »
i already encoutered one such person too ... his HDD was completely unreable (sadly i wasn't the person who 'resolved' the issue)
I have this before, but I can't associate the event to an infection, rather a hardware malfunction, or MFT problem.

mysterious

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2007, 12:33:30 PM »
I have this before, but I can't associate the event to an infection, rather a hardware malfunction, or MFT problem.

And if it is a hardware malfunction or a MFT problem can you hel me solving this problem?