Author Topic: Avast Detected unauthorized modification of ashserv.exe  (Read 4899 times)

tomogden

Avast Detected unauthorized modification of ashserv.exe
« on: November 13, 2007, 08:59:17 PM »
I am trying to install Avast Home 4.7 on a system running XP SP2.  Upon restart of the system, I get an error message.

Avast! Warning

Avast detected unauthorized modification of this program file (c:\program files\alwil software\avast4\ashserv.exe)

Continuing could be dangerous.

Can anyone help me get this software installed and working correctly?

Thanks

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast Detected unauthorized modification of ashserv.exe
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 09:57:44 PM »
Have (or did) you another AV installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?

You might well have an infection responsible for this, were you experiencing problems with malware ?

Is that why you were installing avast ?

What other security based software do you have ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.7.6124 (build 24.7.9311.855) UI 1.0.811/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 12:48:46 AM »
Please send the executable file to virus@avast.com, possibly with a link to this thread.
Additionally, you may submit the file to www.virustotal.com and check what other antiviruses say about this file - it's possible that it's infected by an undetected file infector.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2007, 08:32:48 PM »
tomogden, can you follow Igor's advices?
The best things in life are free.

reodds

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2007, 04:00:06 PM »
Hi!  I too received the same notice, rendering the program useless.  I am fairly certain I downloaded a virus or malware.  I have tried most of the online virus scan programs without success.   

When I attempt to reinstall Avast, the installation is allowed, but as soon as it tries to load, the executable file is deleted.

So far, no malware has been detected by any of the other anti virus programs I have tried, but I still cannot install Avast.

I am running a PC clone with an AMD processor, XP Pro sp2, and have been using Avast Home for at least 5 years without any problem.

Help please!

Thanks.

Roger

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2007, 05:25:48 PM »
Whilst this seems slightly different to other instances it still might be a Bagle Rootkit variant:
See http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=26554.0
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=25941.0
This seemed to have the best results with this type of attack and is reasonably user friendly.
http://research.pandasoftware.com/blogs/research/archive/2006/12/14/Rootkit-cleaner.aspx
Also F-Secure Blacklight may not always be available, http://www.f-secure.com/blacklight - Direct line, ftp://ftp.f-secure.com/anti-virus/tools/fsbl.exe
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.7.6124 (build 24.7.9311.855) UI 1.0.811/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

reodds

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2007, 01:43:12 AM »
Thank you David!  Apparently, I had several RootKits which messed up my machine.  I removed them with AntiRootKit, and it worked beautifully.

I reinstalled Avast without any problem, and now all is back to normal.

Thanks again.

Roger

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2007, 02:17:10 AM »
No problem, glad I could help.

Welcome to the forums.

Whilst it is a bit late now did you note the files names and locations of these rootkits ?