Author Topic: firewall/does avast  (Read 2796 times)

ducky71

firewall/does avast
« on: November 14, 2007, 07:55:18 AM »
does avast have a firewall program download

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
Re: firewall/does avast
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 08:20:04 AM »
No, not yet. It's in the works though.

ducky71

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 09:06:43 AM »
 >:( :-[

thankyou for your response; in that case i feel that choosing AVAST was not the right choice; the next question,if it is ok, then providing my current problems correcting AVAST error messages are successful, which firewall is compatible with AVAST ; is the MSN stuff compatible? ....

on the AVAST icon, appeared a red circle ball (the AAVM ....detected a RPC error ...

..so..do i go thru the 7 steps to fix that, which, the instructions include clicking onto the waiting MSN updates, thats why i didnt click on those updates before, someone said that they mite interfere with the avast download ...

or...try to finish all the steps to totally download AVAST (still showing resident disabled ?) as instructions/prompts for choosing settings, download or run seemed too confusing/overwhelming/questionable/ to try , lest it was the wrong thing..

hope this wasnt too long, will cross my fingers for an answer....

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 03:42:39 PM »
You don't say what your OS is ?
That can have an impact on what firewall is compatible with it, rather than what is compatible with avast. There aren't that many free firewall that are compatible with Vista.

There are many freeware firewalls such as, Comodo (many forums members using this, the regular release is OK with avast and winXP), PCTools Firewall Plus, Jetico, etc. - Zone Alarm free works fine with avast and has a reasonably friendly user interface, however, the free version is becoming bloated with trial ware and is also crippled as far as outbound protection goes In the Program Control, configuration area, the slider will only goes as far as Medium protection, if you want more you have to buy the Pro version.

See http://www.matousec.com/projects/windows-personal-firewall-analysis/leak-tests-results.php.

Have (or did) you another AV installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?
This is often one of the likely causes of the RPC error.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2007, 04:30:58 PM »
>:( :-[

or...try to finish all the steps to totally download AVAST (still showing resident disabled ?) as instructions/prompts for choosing settings, download or run seemed too confusing/overwhelming/questionable/ to try , lest it was the wrong thing..

hope this wasnt too long, will cross my fingers for an answer....

In addition to DavidR's questions,  did you download avast or did you select run from the download box?