Author Topic: to avoid red X icon on next boot I have to do a repair before shutdown  (Read 766 times)

Offline av4me

I'm the one who had a forced upgrade after using an old Avast 20 install for years.

Got most everything else working again including the UI mouse clicks but I cannot seem to find a fix for this one.

It seems to be timing related but I do not want to use the delayed start option.

I don't think the repair is actually repairing anything as there is likely nothing broken, instead I think it is timing and the Avast low level drivers are not getting properly inserted so it fails.

Something about the repair process changes the boot process on the next boot to where Avast loads in some kind of different way (or maybe it's actually the delayed loading way).

Discovered this by looking at all the services running, the Avast service is not running when there is a red X present on the tray icon.

If I try to use the manual start feature in the services management, it will won't start.

I noticed the service has a fallback setting for too many fails

"C:\Program Files\Avast Software\Avast\setup\instup.exe" /instop:repair  /wait

So I created a shortcut for that and sure enough, manually running that before the next start prevents the red x.

Thoughts on a permanent fix?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: to avoid red X icon on next boot I have to do a repair before shutdown
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2022, 01:01:49 PM »
- Which Avast..? (Free/Premium/One)
- OS..? (32/64 Bit..? - which SP/Build..?)
- Other security related software installed..?
- Which AV(s) did you use before Avast..?
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0