Author Topic: background op  (Read 3206 times)

ted_s

background op
« on: December 02, 2007, 02:35:37 AM »
I just dnld the cnet free vers.   seems to run fine and hopefully doing its job.
Problem : I clicked on exit at the tray icom to cancel the background run since I was
off the internet and was going to do something that want everything stopped.
 me thinks I should have done it differently cause I cant get it back to run for when
I an online (or at all )
I re-ran the downloaded file ( which did a repair ) but this didnt work.
do I need to un-install and then re- install ? ?
 and- yes the icon in the tray is gone - wish I knew how to do that so I could
get rid of things left there by old uninstalled programs.
 running XP /sp2    avast4   IE6   
ted
 :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: background op
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 10:54:50 PM »
I clicked on exit at the tray icom to cancel the background run
You just shutdown all the antivirus... stopping it.
If you boot, won't it come back?

yes the icon in the tray is gone - wish I knew how to do that so I could
get rid of things left there by old uninstalled programs.
1. Check the option in the Appearance tab of settings.
or
2. Repair your avast installation through Control Panel.
or
3. Make a link to ashdisp.exe in your startup folder
or
4. Add the path to ashDisp.exe into a value named avast! in the Windows Registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
See picture here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=26155.msg213891#msg213891

If that does not help, please, uninstall, boot, install again, boot.

What other security based software do you have that might block new startup entries, e.g. Spybot S&D (TeaTimer), AdAware (AdWatch), SpySweeper, Spyware Doctor (StartUpGuard), PrevX, WinPatrol, ProcessGuard, etc.?
The best things in life are free.

ted_s

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007, 12:39:55 AM »
 a.  booting will not restart since the startup line was dropped from the startup list.

I like haveing a clean machine  :D   ....   I usually run nothing in the background which assures
the cpu will have no drags.   some, like norton will slow down the whole kit and kaboodle - I have
more than one reason to dislike norty.
for years and years I have not run anti anything.  Not even the firewall.   lately I have been trying a few, and now, on avast.
 I like the oncall ability but need to figure how to get it running in background only when online,  and
not run at all other times.
 the only other thing I run is CCleaner - immediately after doing my online loop - ebay - yahoo - hotmail,  and
occasionally a known retail site to check prices.  this is why I have never botthered with anti virus pgms.
 hahaha  since I downldd avast - I have been getting hit with a company ' malware '  that jumps up and
runs a ' check '  and finds lots of trojans.   but to fix you have to pay the bucks. 
last night at shutdn I cleared all cookys - int files etc...  plus the whole prefetch dir.   ran all my checker pgms
 so we shall see how  malware is getting in .

your second answer 1.  there is no option whithin appearance or setting  2. already tried that but it didnt change the
startup since it did a repair (my re-install)and didnt fix everything.    3.  I will try that and or 4. reg key
 there is a way to change  the task tray contents.   I did it last year after a lot of clicking around - but being
the idiot I am - I didnt write it down - so now I will have to look again. probably fire up my old pc and see if
there is a pgm that I had used, or a note i followed  hahahaha   the hunt is afoot....

and ...  as I figured - if all else fails - uninstall and re- do it all.

ted_s

re:Re: background op
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2007, 01:08:46 AM »
okay - ran ashDisp.exe and zowee - now back in tray and functioning.
I will not put into startup since I dont want it running always.  makeing
a desktop shortcut..

so far  :P  no 'malware'  invasion.   probably came with the downld - lessee -hmmm  the dnld was
done thru a third party after cnet - so mayhaps been attached there.

now back to the tray access search  ;D
thanks tech,
ted
 :-)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2007, 01:31:13 AM »
if all else fails - uninstall and re- do it all.
Glad you finally have everything like you want.
The best things in life are free.