Author Topic: newbie needs some help  (Read 2811 times)

viper xeon

newbie needs some help
« on: December 03, 2007, 03:02:23 PM »
i'm new to avast! and i don't really understand certain things, i just want to know how to set avast! to do a boot scan, thanks :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: newbie needs some help
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 03:13:32 PM »
If you have XP, vista32bit or Win2k, you could enable a boot time scan. Right click the avast icon, select Start avast! Antivirus, Menu, 'Schedule boot-time scan...' Or see http://www.digitalred.com/avast-boot-time.php

Why is it that you need to do a boot time scan ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

viper xeon

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007, 03:17:26 PM »
If you have XP, vista32bit or Win2k, you could enable a boot time scan. Right click the avast icon, select Start avast! Antivirus, Menu, 'Schedule boot-time scan...' Or see http://www.digitalred.com/avast-boot-time.php

Why is it that you need to do a boot time scan ?

i actualy have a adware, and someone with the same one, said something about a boot scan, but anyway, ill give you the name of the adware

rdyabjyv.EXE
c:\WINDOWS/system32
win32:adware-gen[adw]

i stored it in the chest, just incase if i would delet it, i would affect my laptop

i should also tell you i have xp service pack 3, home editon

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2007, 03:32:34 PM »
You only need to initiate a boot-time scan if avast can't deal with a file e.g. it is in use and as such protected by windows. The fact that you have been able to send it to the chest (the first and safest option), means avast has been able to deal with it.

If on the other hand it couldn't do that then scheduling a boot-time scan would do the job and again you should opt to send to the chest when a detection is found.

Moving the file to the chest could potentially have the same effect as deletion in respect of the fact the file is no longer in the original location. The difference being you can always restore a file from the chest but you can't if you have chosen deletion.

You have XP SP3 (?) currently it is SP2, but SP3 is a beta release version, not something I would consider on a non-test PC.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2007, 03:40:48 PM »
If the infection returns and can't be cleaned, suggest:

1. Disable System Restore and reenable it after step 3.
2. Clean your temporary files.
3. Schedule a boot time scanning with avast with archive scanning turned on.
4. Use AVG Antispyware; SUPERantispyware and/or Spyware Terminator to scan for spywares and trojans. If any infection is detected, better and safer is send the file to Quarantine than to simple delete than.
5. Test your machine with anti-rootkit applications. I suggest AVG or Trend Micro RootkitBuster.
The best things in life are free.