Author Topic: Had many BSOD's, uninstalled Avast Free, no more BSOD's  (Read 1335 times)

Offline WhataMack

Had many BSOD's, uninstalled Avast Free, no more BSOD's
« on: April 26, 2022, 11:16:22 PM »
Just passing along my recent experience with Avast Free and BSOD's.

I've had Avast installed for several years, without it causing any apparent issues.  But I'd been having BSOD's on my Windows 10 desktop system over the past couple of months, more and more frequently to the point of having up to four per day.  Most of them were shown as being memory management related, and there were other causes as well.  I'd tried everything I could find from researching this; drivers, virtual memory, running MemTest over and over...all the standard troubleshooting approaches.

Then I happened to come across reports of people having BSOD's and finding out that Avast was the culprit.  After reading these reports, at first I turned off all the Avast shields but the problem was still there.  So I completely uninstalled Avast a week ago and haven't had a BSOD since.  I've also seen big performance improvements on loading of large files in different programs.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Had many BSOD's, uninstalled Avast Free, no more BSOD's
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2022, 09:45:21 AM »
- Which version/build of Avast Free..?
- OS..? (32/64 Bit..? - which SP/Build..?)
- Other security related software installed..?
- Which AV(s) did you use before Avast..?
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline francesco6

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2022, 12:43:18 PM »
Same exact problem here. I have Avast Premium Security. It turned out that for some reason a port scan coming from a different machine on the same LAN network, causes the system to blue screen of death. Every single time, even after the upgrade to the latest version in March. I have uninstalled Avast and I have tried port scanning many times and never had the problem again. Still I have a paid subscription with Avast and I want this issue to be solved, it is ridiculous that a port scan would cause Windows 10 to completely blue screen like that.

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2022, 01:50:30 PM »
Hi,

Could you perhaps remove the firewall component and let us know if the issue persists, please?
Please see https://support.avast.com/article/Add-Remove-Antivirus-components/
Please restart the computer after removing the Firewall component.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2022, 05:27:35 PM by r@vast »

Offline francesco6

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2022, 06:18:41 PM »
Hello,

Removing the firewall component worked. No more BSOD on port scanning, I have just tried it multiple times. Thank you for that.

Is this an issue you are aware of ? Is it going to be fixed in the next update ?

Thank you very much.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2022, 06:21:11 PM by francesco6 »

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2022, 12:19:48 PM »
Hello,

Removing the firewall component worked. No more BSOD on port scanning, I have just tried it multiple times. Thank you for that.

Is this an issue you are aware of ? Is it going to be fixed in the next update ?

Thank you very much.

Hi,

Thank you for the confirmation. Our developers are aware of it and working on a fix that will be released with an upcoming program update.