Author Topic: AMD now worth less than it paid for ATI ...  (Read 5687 times)

Hard_ROCKER

AMD now worth less than it paid for ATI ...
« on: December 10, 2007, 09:07:08 PM »
Tim Smalley, editor of bit-tech in the UK, paints a bitter picture of AMD's current state of affairs reporting that, as of last week, AMD was worth less than it paid for ATI back in July of 2006.

He claims that AMD's market value has dropped to around $5b USD, which is $400m USD less than what ATI was worth when AMD made the questionable decision to buy the Canadian based company - but that is easy to say in hindsight at the struggling chip firms' defense.

Worse still for AMD, bit-tech goes on to say Intel is now 32 times as big as AMD in terms of stock market value and Nvidia is even estimated at almost 4 times larger with $19b in market capital.

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/8669/index.html

:o  ::)

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
Re: AMD now worth less than it paid for ATI ...
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 06:16:07 AM »
And what is left of AMD's budget processor market will Disappear next month when Intel rolls out their Dual-Core Celeron E1200 processor

http://www.dvhardware.net/article23735.html

"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 06:40:46 AM »
Thanks for the link Mac !

Yes it's not looking well for AMD at all ! Do you think Intel will drop it's prices for their quad core's aswell ? Because that would just kill Phenom i'm sure ...

Offline Dwarden

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Ideas, that's ocean without borders!
    • Bohemia Interactive
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007, 07:32:37 AM »
not bad yet , AMD was in way worse shape with way lower portfolio of products ...

HD3xxx series shows there is hope
https://twitter.com/FoltynD , Tech. Community, Online Services & Distribution manager of Bohemia Interactive

Staind

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 08:07:43 AM »
And what is left of AMD's budget processor market will Disappear next month when Intel rolls out their Dual-Core Celeron E1200 processor

That will be a great time to invest in some AMD stock.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007, 10:29:57 AM »
Too bad their processors are late and crappy. I really miss the competition from P4/K7/K8 days...
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2007, 01:32:10 PM »

That will be a great time to invest in some AMD stock.

Yeah... only if you decided to say goodbye to your money
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

CharleyO

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2007, 06:36:28 AM »

All of you better pray that AMD does not go under, for if it does, there will be virtually no competition for Intel. Now, think about it ... what will happen to cpu prices without competition?    :o

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2007, 09:31:39 AM »
@Mac: Getting a 404 with your link, here's a working one. http://www.macworld.com/article/131061/2007/12/amd.html

@Charley: I don't think praying will be enough to help AMD hehe ;D If we wanna help them out we need to buy their products, i know i won't since i'm already on Intel and Nvidia and very happy with what i've got. Like Dwarden mentioned the new graphics card series is actually quite good and if i didn't already own an 8800gt Geforce i think i would go with the 3870 Radeon(maybe). Perhaps these new graphic cards will keep them afloat. But as it is currently no AMD product holds much interest for me and i think it's the same with alot of other people that just got tired of waiting for AMD and switched to Intel and/or Nvidia. I used to be an AMD fan myself but my patience ran out eventually. They were just too late with the new cpu's and the graphics cards(talking about the hd2xxx series). So i went with the competition. And by looking at those hardware tests of Phenom i'm glad i didn't wait for it to be released as my decision would still be the same, Intel. But i agree that it won't be a nice picture if AMD goes down. We don't want a total monopoly from Intel and Nvidia. We want progress and competitive pricing which is why we need AMD.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2007, 09:42:39 AM »
Hi Miha,

Go like Sun and put your sourcecode as open source. Processor kernel source as open source, good for Sun, good for the community. The way to go!

Damian
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2007, 02:49:03 PM »
Some more AMD news from the analyst conference that was held today:
AMD promises to fix quad-core, touts hybrid graphics