Author Topic: avast antivirus and avast one reduce my internet connection  (Read 2463 times)

Offline adia32

I installed avast free antivirus on an old computer from 2009-2010, my internet connection is much reduced, 1000 MB/s in download and 500 MB/s in upload, with avast I have about 450 MB/s in download and less than 500 MB/S in upload. It's like that in all kind of internet connection test, speedtest app for windows, my ISP test in browser, speedtest in browser and nperf. During the test with the speedtest application of windows the needle lag, it is not fluid, the mouse cursor lag too! It's horrible!

When I uninstall avast antivirus or if I put it in passive mode I have the right internet speed, no more problem. I tried avast one, it's the same! For the 2 I tried to deactivate all protection agents, it does not change anything always a loss of internet speed with lag.

On my recent 2019 computer I never had any issues with avast antivirus.
I use avast with secure browser in bank mode, and I was going to look for another password manager because that of avast and EOL. But I think I'll give up avast for windows defender antivirus, another password manager, and keep avast secure browser without bank mode, this on my 2 computers. This is not what I prefer I would like you to solve this problem.

Offline InvisibleMan

Re: avast antivirus and avast one reduce my internet connection
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2022, 06:33:07 AM »
Do not install the Firewall component. It's probably what's messing with your connection.

Try it that way, and if confirmed, then simply use a built-in Windows Firewall instead (which should be as good or better, considering the vast difference in the amount of people who technically tested that firewall for many years, and it should have less bugs an issues anyways).

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline adia32

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2022, 08:22:47 PM »
Do not install the Firewall component. It's probably what's messing with your connection.

Try it that way, and if confirmed, then simply use a built-in Windows Firewall instead (which should be as good or better, considering the vast difference in the amount of people who technically tested that firewall for many years, and it should have less bugs an issues anyways).

I don't have the avast firewall, it's the free version.

-> https://support.avast.com/en-ww/article/Troubleshoot-Antivirus-Web-Shield

I saw this help page. I disabled https, it didn't change anything.

I will install avast with 1 or 2 protection agent, see if my internet connection is fine, and install from avast an agent by an agent while testing my internet connection to find the culprit. If I find the agent that is causing the problem, then I will play with the options of this agent to make my internet connection work at full speed. I will come back here to report on my tests.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2022, 08:40:30 PM by tmlh »

Offline Nunzio77

• Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2022, 08:42:51 PM »
Thank you and good day!
Nunzio
----------------------------
Avast Free - Windows 10 Pro-32 Bit, Intel Core2 Duo CPU T7500, RAM 4 Gb, SDD 512 Gb, ATI Mobile Radeon HD 2400 - Avast Mobile Security Free - Smartphone Android

Offline InvisibleMan

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2022, 10:57:44 PM »
I don't have the avast firewall, it's the free version.
It's available as an optional component in the Avast Free Antivirus since a few months ago or so.

I chose not to install it.

I will install avast with 1 or 2 protection agent
Well, if you manage to make it work with just Web and File Shields installed, then you'll be protected well enough actually.

Offline adia32

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2022, 02:21:19 PM »
The firewall is not checked by default during the installation of avast antivirus.

Results of my tests:

wifi inspector lowers my internet connection the most.

The web agent also decreases my internet connection, but less.

When I uninstall wifi inspector I have, in the speedtest test of the Windows speedtest application, about 800 Mb/s, always a little lag. And the connection speed test of my isp about 400 Mb/s in a web browser. It's still very low. I played with the options of the web agent, nothing to do I always have about 400 Mb/s instead of more than 900 Mb/s.

I will uninstall avast from the old computer, and on the newer one leave it.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2022, 02:39:51 PM »
wifi inspector lowers my internet connection the most.
Well, that's certainly a strange finding. :-\
Update to the latest version (22.5): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=319760.0
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline adia32

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2022, 04:58:28 PM »
I already have the latest version of avast anativirus.

Strange yeah, I found a strange thing that has nothing to do with avast, when I enable memory integrity in windows, a windows security protection, I got around 400 MB/s in the test connection speed in a browser. When I disable this option I am at full speed of my internet connection in a browser. If I have the avast web agent activated and this windows option activated I am at 100 MB/S in a browser! On a recent computer this windows option activated, it's fine I'm at full speed and with avast web and wifi inspector activated.

Over the next few months and years I will test future builds of avast antivirus on my old computer and hopefully fix the problem.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2022, 05:23:21 PM »
I already have the latest version of avast anativirus.
Hi, the Avast feature you mentioned slowing you has been renamed a while ago. ;)