Author Topic: Am I Infected? Is Avast Missing Things? or Am I Getting False Positaves?  (Read 15297 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Am I Infected? Is Avast Missing Things? or Am I Getting False Positaves?
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2008, 03:01:52 PM »
can somebody tell me how to scan my files without getting the message: files can not be scanned. Password protected.
Please give enough info how to avoid the protection of the passwords and if possible in The dutch lanquage.
avast can't scan files that are password protected, it doesn't know the password.
Many programs (usually security based ones) password protect their files for legitimate reasons such as AdAware and Spybot Search & Destroy, there are others (and avast doesn't know the password or have any way of using it even if it did know it). Do you use any other security based programs?

When you run scans with the above programs and you delete harmful entries that they detect, a copy is kept (in quarantine/restore/backup) in case you need to reverse what you did. These are usually password protected, you should do some housekeeping and delete old backup/recovery/quarantine entries (older than two weeks or so), this will reduce the numbers of files that can't be scanned.
The best things in life are free.

wendy k. walker

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2008, 06:40:13 AM »
Hello potlood, hoe vandaag doet u?

Ik ben verry droevig om te horen dat u een probleh, echter hebt, wanneer u een vraag hebt dat u in dit forum zou willen vragen u verondersteld bent om uw eigen onderwerp te beginnen. U zult betere answere op die manier krijgen, en dat helpt ook om heel wat confussion te vermijden.

Tevreden repost uw vraag in een onderwerp van uw.

[sorry if my Dutch is not so good]

Wendy

wendy k. walker

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2008, 07:17:19 AM »
Hi FreewheelinFrank, Thanks for the reply.

--> The self-help web sites just want you to install an anti-virus program: if they think AVG Free is the only free program, then they're probably not very knowledgeable.<-- Oh No! That wasn't what any of them said, and they advertise Avast! too, that's how I found Avast!

--> Just ignore any invitations to buy DrWeb and just click the 'scan' button on CureIT!<-- Ha, ha! Old Dr. Web has either gotten wise to people doing that or is in need of money because it wouldn't let me get past the nag screen without clicking on the buy now button, so I just gave up on it.

--> I don't think IE does show up in Add/Remove<-- Well, according to all of the people that I've talked to at self help site try to tell me that I'm looking in the wrong place because IE is supposed to be in the Add\Remove thing.

I don't remember how I did it but I had tried IE7 about a year ago, couldn't get along with it and uninstalled it in favor of IE6.

Thanks,

Wendy

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2008, 07:27:42 AM »
I can't find IE in add remove either. But if you go to system information and click tools, repair internet explorer , you can uninstall the last version you undated to.

wendy k. walker

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2008, 10:17:57 AM »
Hi oldman, Thanks for the reply.

Do you mean "Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Information"? or something else, because that doesn't get me to anything that has anything about repairing IE, it just gets me to The Help and Support Center.

Thanks,

Wendy

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2008, 10:35:00 AM »
I don't remember how I did it but I had tried IE7 about a year ago, couldn't get along with it and uninstalled it in favor of IE6.

I didn't get on with IE7 either- I installed it and used Firefox and Opera as normal.

If you have IE6 installed, you live with the security risks of IE6.
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2008, 02:35:50 PM »

Do you mean "Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Information"? or something else, because that doesn't get me to anything that has anything about repairing IE, it just gets me to The Help and Support Center.

Thanks,

Wendy

Must be different on xp, because that's where it is in 98se. I'll look when I get on an xp machine.

Edit:

Ok on xp machine now. All right, they've moved it to add/remove programs, add/remove windows components button.

Some info can be found here if you are planning on removing IE.

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/35598
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 05:50:13 PM by oldman »

wendy k. walker

Re: Am I Infected? Is Avast Missing Things? or Am I Getting False Positives?
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2008, 04:18:12 AM »
Hi FreewheelinFrank, Thanks for the reply.

I guess I just might give IE7 another go... worst come to worst I can just leave it alone and use FF.

Yeah, I have it in the add\remove windows components thing but there is no repair option available so I guess I'm just stuck with what I've got. Well at least until I update to IE7 anyway.

Thanks for the help Guys.

♥ Wendy