Author Topic: Can someone explain the info my 1st scan found  (Read 2413 times)

Offline tweets104

Can someone explain the info my 1st scan found
« on: December 24, 2007, 07:27:45 PM »
After my 1st scan I had 124 records.
By far the majority (110) were files that showed:
Unable to scan: Archive is password protected.
The rest were:
Unable to scan: CAB archive is corrupted.
Several of the later were sucessfully moved to the chest, however all of the rest failed with the error message:
Error occurred during moving file to chest: CAB archive is corrupted
Each time I repeat the scan, I get the same results.
What am I missing. I checked the help file but found nothingon this

TIA for any help figuring out my next steps.

Offline George Yves

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Help you I can
Re: Can someone explain the info my 1st scan found
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2007, 07:50:30 PM »
Unable to scan: Archive is password protected.
The rest were:
Unable to scan: CAB archive is corrupted.
Several of the later were sucessfully moved to the chest, however all of the rest failed with the error message:
Error occurred during moving file to chest: CAB archive is corrupted
Each time I repeat the scan, I get the same results.
What am I missing. I checked the help file but found nothingon this
I think Avast gave you enough information. It can't penetrate into passworded archives (it's not a serious trouble - while files are untouched in an archive, they can't be harmful) and it can't check or move corrupted files either (such files should be restored or carefully delited).

May the FOSS be with you!

sanctuary24

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2007, 07:55:03 PM »
also from what people have told me on here, that sometimes the files are not truly corrupted its just that Avast doesn't have the unpackers to process the file type

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2007, 09:23:34 PM »
Many programs (usually security based ones) password protect their files for legitimate reasons such as AdAware and Spybot Search & Destroy, there are others (and avast doesn't know the password or have any way of using it even if it did know it).

When you run scans with the above programs and you delete harmful entries that they detect, a copy is kept (in quarantine/restore/backup) in case you need to reverse what you did. These are usually password protected, you should do some housekeeping and delete old backup/recovery/quarantine entries (older than two weeks or so), this will reduce the numbers of files that can't be scanned.

By examining 1) the reason given by avast! for not being able to scan the files, 2) the location of the files, you can get an idea of what program they relate to. You may need to expand the column headings to see all the text.

Files that can't be scanned are just that, not an indication they are suspicious/infected, just unable to be scanned.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Spiritsongs

Avast FAQ's
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2007, 05:46:08 PM »
 :)  Hi :

To familiarize with Avast, it would be wise to read through our "FAQ"s,
      especially the last 4 "categories", located at
     www.avast.com/eng/faq-avast-4-home-professional.html .

And we encourage those who post requesting help to 1st use our
    "SEARCH" feature located at top of the Forums to see IF the "Topic"
     has been asked AND Answered in the Past .

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2007, 07:23:43 PM »
If the "problem" files are showing up in what's obviously other security apps' folders, as suggested above they're most likely either password protected for extra security or else encrypted defs and can be safely ignored.

You might want to add those folders to avast's exclusions, which will speed up avast scans a little plus trim down the report some (depending on your report option-settings, of course).
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent