Author Topic: Avast suddenly blocking needed app, and won't make exception.  (Read 14788 times)

Offline r.thomas.wright

Avast suddenly blocking needed app, and won't make exception.
« on: February 16, 2023, 10:40:39 PM »
I have an app called Open Hardware Monitor.  I use it to monitor temperatures of my CPU, motherboard, GPU, etc.  However, as of today, Avast keeps blocking it and won't allow me to make an exception for it.  It keeps claiming that OpenHardwareMonitorLib.Sys creates a driver vulnerability, and won't let me do anything.  I've tried creating an exception to allow the app, but it refuses to accept it.

Again, this was working fine until recently.  Now, all of a sudden, I can't monitor my CPU temps anymore.

Offline Luxomancer

Re: Avast suddenly blocking needed app, and won't make exception.
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2023, 05:58:38 PM »
I'm having a similar problem when using the CPU temperature monitor RealTemp, a program I have used for years with no problems until this week.  I am getting the following error

Avast blocked a vulnerable driver
The Driver winring0x64.sys has been blocked due to vulnerabilities that could cause your POC's Operating System instability or even put it at risk of a hacker attack.  If you need to add an exception to load this driver you need to turn off vulnerable drivers blocking in settings.

I cannot find the setting to turn this feature off and all attempts to add an exception through the exceptions menu are not working.

Offline andy134

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2023, 01:02:00 PM »
Hi

Is there an update for this?

I am now getting this for Atera's managed agent - OpenHardwareMonitorLib.Sys is being blocked as a driver.

Please can we have an update on this.

Kind regards

Andy

Offline andy134

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2023, 11:02:40 AM »
Hi

Yes we keep doing this, and then a few hours later it switches back on. It is very annoying and currently we have 80 staff affected.

Offline Markus36

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2023, 04:37:32 PM »
Hello,
We are facing this issue as well, is there a way to make an exception for openhardwaremonitorlib.sys without having to disable "block vulnerable kernel drivers" completely?
I tried to add the path and the filename to all exceptions on the policy on our avast console but its ignoring all of them.

Thanks

Offline harbin1976

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2023, 10:06:43 PM »
Having the very same problem with aquasuite. Was working perfectly ok yesterday (18 March), but today Avast is blocking and reporting as a vulnerable driver. Unfortunately this is stopping aquasuite from monitoring GPU & CPU temperature which it requires for fan speed control. This causes aquasuite to run all fans at full speed as it cannot see the temperature. I also have open hardware monitor software, yes the same problem.

It looks like Avast is stopping anything that has hardware monitoring drivers.

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2023, 04:42:31 PM »
Avast blocked a vulnerable driver
The Driver winring0x64.sys has been blocked due to vulnerabilities that could cause your POC's Operating System instability or even put it at risk of a hacker attack.  If you need to add an exception to load this driver you need to turn off vulnerable drivers blocking in settings.

Have you also seen this post: https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=322955.msg1701891#msg1701891

Offline luuked

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2023, 01:05:36 PM »
Is there still no solution to this issue? It's been a few months now, and Avast still prevents me from monitoring CPU temperature.

I manually added an exception for the driver ( C:\users\<username>\downloads\openhardwaremonitor\openhardwaremonitorlib.sys , in my case) and Avast fails to recognise this. It just consistently gives the 'Avast blocked a vulnerable driver' message every time I launch Open Hardware Monitor.

Offline Bill77

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2024, 04:59:41 AM »
Did you ever find a solution for this? I keep getting the same message from Avast for several months now. Very annoying.

Offline Infratech Solutions

• Avast Reseller
  • Massive Poster
  • Mayorista e integrador de Avast en España
    • Ciberseguridad Avast para empresas y MSPs en España.
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2024, 10:14:48 AM »
Try to disable the "Block vulnerable kernel drivers" option on the Troubleshooting settings (see picture)

Offline Tanoli

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2024, 11:12:23 PM »
Still got this pop-up of avast that openhardwaremonitorlib.sys has been blocked etc. what if I want to keep settings, this issue is now a year long there should be some exceptions...

Offline arif.akbar87

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2024, 05:57:53 PM »
Still no solution for this?? Guess I'm not recommending Avast to my clients any longer