Author Topic: Hmmm... restarting my system for the 5th time in last 20 minutes  (Read 3857 times)

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
It started happening yesterday, and I thought it's going to go away. I've also noticed a lot of other people started complaining about this... now it hit my PC too.

Tried everything, not a single thing helps.

This is exactly what I've tried so far:

1.) Checked contents of the C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Setup\setup.log file. Shows me absolutely nothing.

2.) Deleting the file C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Setup\reboot.txt

Of course, nothing helped. So I tried tweaking the registry right after computer restart.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager, "PendingFileRenameOpertaions" item.

It contained "reboot.txt" only, so I deleted PendingFileRenameOperations item, not anything else.

Nothing helped...

So as much as I've hated to do that, I've decided to completely remove avast! from my computer using avast! Clean utility called aswclear.exe

Removed every single trace of avast! in registry. Restarted my system, installed the latest avast! version from the web site, even did a brand new registration and got my avast! Home edition serial number (the old one was expiring soon anyway). After all configuring, system restarted...

Guess what... same thing is happening again. avast! keeps asking me to reboot my computer even it hasn't updated anything, not a program update, not a virus definitions update. I am stunned as what is happening here and have no solution for this at this moment.

MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
The best things in life are free.

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
Re: Hmmm... restarting my system for the 5th time in last 20 minutes
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2007, 04:01:30 AM »
And it hits me again... in a middle of my Foobar2000 session, trying to enjoy my Christmas collection - whoosh, there it goes!

avast! in action again  ;D

MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

micky77

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2007, 08:26:12 AM »
You don't think any of this is to do with that Comodo update you had.I still haven't found any info on that.You could try disabling your firewall ( offline) ,(or use windows firewall )to see if it stops Avast rebooting.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 09:49:54 AM by micky77 »

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2007, 09:43:10 AM »
Hey Sash !

Any progress ?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2007, 11:58:05 AM »
You don't think any of this is to do with that Comodo update you had.
I won't be surprised...
The best things in life are free.

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2007, 03:05:22 PM »
You don't think any of this is to do with that Comodo update you had.I still haven't found any info on that.You could try disabling your firewall ( offline) ,(or use windows firewall )to see if it stops Avast rebooting.

No, I am sure it has nothing to do with Comodo. Why ? Because I removed it completely from my system. I got fed up with all problems Comodo gave me last few days, multiple versions of updates, some released few weeks ago, and I'm getting them on my system now ???

I went with PCTools Firewall and since I am behind two hardware routers here, don't have much to worry.

It could however have something to do with this (?) :

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=32297.0