Author Topic: AOL in Quarantine  (Read 1326 times)

Offline magswheel

AOL in Quarantine
« on: March 02, 2023, 01:43:17 AM »
Avast just put my AOL software in quarantine so I downloaded AOL Desktop Gold software again, and it put that in quarantine too when I tried to install it.  What do I do to get my AOL back?  I'm a novice, appreciate any help.  And yes I still use AOL.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: AOL in Quarantine
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2023, 02:27:17 AM »
If it is in Quarantine, you can open the Quarantine and right click on the file and select the Send for analysis option.

And or you can use the - Reporting a Possible False Positive File or Website - https://www.avast.com/false-positive-file-form.php.
You should get a response in a day or two.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline magswheel

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2023, 03:23:41 AM »
I did select the send for analysis option, but it says they don't send replies?  I tried the website you recommended, but it asks for a file and I don't know what to submit.  I tried IDP.alexa.53, which is the threat notice that came up, (and put AOL in quarantine) but didn't like that.  Again says they don't send replies?

If it is a false positive do I just select Restore and add exception?  AOL says there is nothing wrong with their software to install.  Did scan with AVAST and no virus or malware detected.  Could the IDP.alexa.53 file still be a threat somewhere on my computer?

Tried to download and install AOL software again and got another threat notice on file IDP.generic.  The downloaded installation program also put in quarantine. 

Thank you!  SO miss my AOL.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2023, 03:40:46 AM »
If you send it using the link that I gave you need to know the URL of the file you were trying to download the file/update from.  That should normally reply.

If you sent the file that was in the Quarantine

What would help if you attached a screenshot of the Avast Alert window with the details option selected (as I did for you).
That would give the full URL, etc.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline magswheel

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2023, 07:13:03 PM »
I was not downloading a file.  I was opening my AOL Desktop software.  Program went to quarantine.

Attached is my screenshot of my quarantine.

I was not downloading a file.  I was opening my AOL Desktop software.  Program went to quarantine.

Attached is my screenshot of my quarantine.

If it is a false positive do I just select Restore and add exception?  AOL says there is nothing wrong with their software to install.  Did scan with AVAST and no virus or malware detected.  Could the IDP.alexa.53 file still be a threat somewhere on my computer?

Tried to download and install AOL software again and got another threat notice on file IDP.generic.  The downloaded installation program also put in quarantine.

Thank you!

Thank you!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2023, 08:25:11 PM »
The Quarantine list of detections doesn't provide much information.

The actual Alert window (with the details) when it occurs provides much more useful information, a note don't take a full screen screenshot, just the window and resize to keep it at a reasonable size. 

If send the file for analysis from within the Quarantine, but from there you may not get a notification (and could take a few days), if it was an FP or not and you would only know if you Restored from the Quarantine and Avast Alerted again.

As I said previously:
Quote from: DavidR
And or you can use the - Reporting a Possible False Positive File or Website - https://www.avast.com/false-positive-file-form.php.
You should get a response in a day or two.

I reported a URL as a possible FP and did get a reply in a couple of days, after I had already checked the site later and it was cleared.

Offline magswheel

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2023, 10:23:42 PM »
Where will I get a reply, in an email?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2023, 11:37:38 PM »
In the email address that you give when reporting it.