Author Topic: Suspicious message alerts - tons of them!!!  (Read 3441 times)

confusedcookie

Suspicious message alerts - tons of them!!!
« on: December 29, 2007, 09:53:12 AM »
"There are too many identical emails in appointed time"

Help I don't know what to do about these?? I am having these messages every few seconds and up to 10 at a time. All it say is Continue/Don't send or click on the red cross.

The emails are about the usual spam/sex/satisfy her etc. They are not to me, but to other recipients and lots of different senders.

When they come I cannot do anything on the computer, it just stops me using it until I cancel them all out. Please can anyone advise. I appreciate the virus warning but just dont know how to deal with it. Have run a scan and anti spyware but nothing stops them coming.

Any suggestions? This has happened over the past few days. I could barely type this message there were so many alerts.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 09:55:21 AM by confusedcookie »

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
Re: Suspicious message alerts - tons of them!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2007, 10:45:12 AM »
Try a boot time scan with avast! Right click the scanner screen, select 'schedule a boot time scan' and reboot when requested.

If that fails try some online scans. (Disable avast! while scanning.)

F-Secure

BitDefender

Panda

Trend Micro Housecall

Run scans in Safe Mode if possible. (Choose Safe Mode with Networking.)

Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2007, 11:52:22 AM »
Besides Franks' suggestion, I do mine:

1. Disable System Restore and reenable it after step 3.
2. Clean your temporary files.
3. Schedule a boot time scanning with avast with archive scanning turned on.
4. Use AVG Antispyware; SUPERantispyware and/or Spyware Terminator to scan for spywares and trojans. If any infection is detected, better and safer is send the file to Quarantine than to simple delete than.
5. Test your machine with anti-rootkit applications. I suggest AVG or Trend Micro RootkitBuster.
6. Make a HijackThis log to post here or, better, submit the RunScanner log to to on-line analysis.
7. Immunize your system with SpywareBlaster or Windows Advanced Care.
8. Check if you have insecure applications with Secunia Software Inspector.
The best things in life are free.

Kernow

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2007, 11:35:29 PM »
I have similar problem but worse. Message reads SUSPICIOUS MESSAGE There are too many identical emails in appointed time.
Beneath is a panel showing Sender and Recipient whose names are changing every 5 seconds but message is always HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU

Meanwhile an icon has appeared in the taskbar bottom right that looks like a pair of envelopes with a bright blue symbol over it is called AVAST! MAIL SCANNER but again in brackets are email addresses that continually change.

The speed of my machine has reduced to 244kbps and I have not been able to fix even with BT Helpline. I guess I am describing a virus. But which one and how can I get back in operation. HELLLLLP.

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2007, 11:55:11 PM »
ESET Online Scanner (NOD32) can be set to remove any infection found. Only works in IE or Firefox through IE Tab extension.

Kernow

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2007, 01:11:59 PM »
THANY YOU TECH
Due to slowness of PC it took five hours to fix the problem
There were seven WIN32NURech trojans found at point 3 and then about dozen Registry deletions after using Rootkitbuster

Thank you very much for your experience and expertise