Author Topic: Cannot send emails using Outlook.com account  (Read 1474 times)

Offline tjharring

Cannot send emails using Outlook.com account
« on: March 15, 2023, 03:18:09 PM »
I am using Thunderbird 102.8.0 and Avast 23.2.6053 (build 23.2.7961.777). I recently setup a new email account with Outlook.com. I can receive emails with no problems, but when I try to send the Outlook account will not go out. I have two other email addresses in TB that I use and neither of them have a problem sending. Both are with Optimum, and recently I have been having problems with Optimum. Emails that I have been receiving for years are suddenly going into the junk folder on the server so I do not see them unless I login online to the web portal. That is why I setup the Outlook account.

I first tested by disabling ALL Avast shields, and I was able to send emails from the Outlook account. Once the shields were enabled I could not send. After about a minutes and a half I receive this message,

"Sending of the message failed.
An error occurred while sending mail: Outgoing server (SMTP) error. The server responded: Timeout waiting for client input [MN2PR13CA0030.namprd13.prod.outlook.com 2023-03-08T18:03:16.690Z 08DB1F9E1235E69A]."

If I disable scan outbound emails in Avast the emails will go. I would prefer to have the outbound scanner enabled since people are used to seeing any emails I send have been checked for viruses. Especially when I send emails with attachments.

Is there a setting in Avast that I am not aware of so I can have the outbound shield enabled and use the Outlook account?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
Re: Cannot send emails using Outlook.com account
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2023, 05:17:53 PM »
If I disable scan outbound emails in Avast the emails will go. I would prefer to have the outbound scanner enabled since people are used to seeing any emails I send have been checked for viruses. Especially when I send emails with attachments.
This is a useless message, the only thing it does is advertise for your AV saying that you have avast installed
All mail providers have virus scanners at there servers and scan in/out going mails, so your mail is scanned

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2023, 02:24:27 PM »
Yes that problem with IMAP email sending messages blocked has been arround quite a while. See this: https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=322198.msg1697758#msg1697758
« Last Edit: March 16, 2023, 02:26:09 PM by rocksteady »

Offline tjharring

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2023, 07:18:03 PM »
My account is setup using POP. I have no problem receiving emails, it's just sending. I disabled the outgoing scanner and I have sent about 10 test messages with no problem. When someone replies to one of the emails and I reply it USUALLY goes through. I replied 5 times, 4 went through on the first shot. The last one took 4 attempts with the outgoing scanner active. When I turned off the scanner all went back out no problem.