Author Topic: System files in chest  (Read 3564 times)

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
System files in chest
« on: December 30, 2007, 12:37:47 AM »
This has no doubt been asked (and answered) many times before, but I'm too old and lazy to search.

I do know the purpose of the system files in the chest, as extra backup copies for additional insurance.  But why only 3 files (in XP), and why those specific three?
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

jwall

Re: System files in chest
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 05:27:10 PM »
Hey Mike.

Just perusing the forum here and I don't have an answer, but the same happened to me, so maybe just a quirk or?  Maybe somebody will reply with an explanation.

I made sure there was no virus and made sure they were where they were supposed to be and then removed them from the chest.  They may come back with another scan though.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 07:57:31 PM »
I wish Alwil answer why these three and only them...
Also, what will we do with this backup if we can't logon/boot an infected system (sometimes). It worth nothing this backup in these situations...
The best things in life are free.

sanctuary24

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2008, 12:22:43 AM »
I wish Alwil answer why these three and only them...
Also, what will we do with this backup if we can't logon/boot an infected system (sometimes). It worth nothing this backup in these situations...

Is this going to be rectified in future versions, being able to restore chest files from outside of Windows if the virus prevents boot up, maybe a floppy disk backup of the virus chest or cd

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2008, 02:46:31 PM »
Is this going to be rectified in future versions, being able to restore chest files from outside of Windows if the virus prevents boot up, maybe a floppy disk backup of the virus chest or cd
Hope Alwil team drops an answer...
The best things in life are free.